Arc 1 Chapter 4: The Second Wedding

Ellie had only seen a limited amount of actual magic ever since she'd known about it. It had of course been one of the first things she'd asked Dora and Andromeda, a demonstration.

But in comparison to the lazy flick of Andromeda's wand levitating the dining table, and Dora immediately transforming into a flawless copy of Rowan Atkinson, this was just madness.

"You want me to step into the fire?"

"Precisely," Ted said smoothly. "Worry not Ellie, it was hard for me the first time."

"And why exactly does stepping into fire serve as some kind of instant teleportation?" Ellie looked expectantly at Dora, who coincidently had ghost-Ellie hovering behind her.

Ghost-Ellie simply shrugged, and surprisingly, so too did Dora.

"Never really thought of it. I guess cause the one who invented made it that way?"

"That's what I'm saying!" Ellie huffed. "How do you even come up with something like this? Was the inventor actively trying to create instant transportation or were they just really drunk? If they can create instant travel, why make fire the primary tool?"

Dora rolled her eyes. "No clue. Now are you going to go in or not?"

Ellie put her hands on her hips. "Doesn't it make you curious?" she demanded. "Are all wizards this damn dismissive of their pointlessly fascinating technology?"

"Wizards are lazy creatures..." Dora muttered.

For a while now, Ghost-Ellie had been staring at the green fire as though its existence were a complicated maths problem. "Wizards can already travel instantly without this stuff, I'm pretty sure?" she eventually inputted.

Ellie would have deadpanned. Instead, though she eyed the flickering emerald flames warily. "I don't trust it. It's going to burn me."

"It's not going to burn you," said an exasperated Tonks. "Dad, would you in and show her?"

Ted obliged with a grin, calmly stepped into the fire and said, "The Burrow!"

Promptly, he seemingly disintegrated.

"He's dead!" yelled Ellie in panic. "Turned to dust!"

"Remind me again, Mother," said Dora through gritted teeth. "Why we didn't just side-along apparate with this little fart? You know, like all the other guests?"

"You know why," said Andromeda sharply, readjusting her purse. "We can't risk Ellie throwing up all over her lovely dress."

Ellie made a face.

"I must correct myself," Andromeda tutted. "We can't give Ellie an excuse to throw up all over her lovely dress."

"What's a 'Side-Along Apparate?'" Ellie asked.

"It's what I was talking about earlier. It's the coolest thing!" ghost-Ellie beamed. But Ellie ignored her. She'd learned a while ago that ghost-Ellie's definition of 'cool' couldn't be trusted, especially not in this situation, in which it would result in her throwing up.

"Disappearing and reappearing somewhere else," muttered Dora. "Or teleportation, as you called it before. You Muggles and your made-up sci-fi terms..."

"So why does this method," Ellie gestured wildly towards the green fire. "exist at all if you lot can just teleport wherever you want?!"

"Would you just go in? I'll tell you on the other side."

"Hmph. Someone's impatient to see their new hubby."