03

I gasped, and Patrick chuckled at my reaction. The room smelled overbearingly like expensive cologne, all from different brands. It made my nose burn slightly. It was mixed with the sweat of the players and the feeling of victory in the air. The air was steamy from the showers, the humidity making my shirt cling to my body. Thank goodness I was wearing a coat, so their eyes could not see my body. The locker room was luxuriously fitted out and decorated in the red of the team. They all turned around and I froze, my eyes going big as I felt like a deer in headlights.

"Why are we here?" I whispered to Patrick, covering my mouth with my hand.

"This is your surprise. I wanted to introduce you to the team. I met them when I came over for my signing last December." I registered what he said but was still frozen to the spot.

One of the players, I wasn't quite sure which one, pulled on his shirt and walked over to Patrick and I. They did a man hug and then Patrick turned to me.

"This is Marietta. My fiancée." Pride was laced through his voice. I stuck out my hand and the man grabbed it and enthusiastically pumped it.

"I'm Steven Gerrard. But I'm sure you knew that already." He grinned and Patrick smirked as I shot Steven a confused look.

"I have no idea who you are. I don't even like football." I stated, my face confused. He looked wounded and covered his heart as if he was in pain.

"Say it isn't so? Who doesn't love football?" He cried out dramatically, making me roll my eyes.

He fell backwards, catching himself almost as if he was staggering around in pain. Patrick chuckled at his antics.

"Yeah she's very oblivious to anything else but cricket and rugby." His grin was wide.

The team crowded around us, curious after witnessing Stevens' antics. They obviously were curious as to who I was and why I caused such a reaction. I stared at the various men around me, their sweat glazed bodies shining in the light. They were all very well built, making it hard to concentrate. Patrick nudged me and gestured towards someone who had his hand out for me to take. I shot the man an apologetic look.

"I'm Glen Johnson." His smile was sincere, his eyes twinkling as he introduced himself. 

I shook his hand and knew that I was going to like him. He had pulled his braids into a thick ponytail, and he wasn't wearing his shirt. I did not mind obviously, his body seemed to be more toned than the others.

"Raul Meireles."

The guy was covered in tattoos' and I couldn't help but stare. The people I grew up with didn't have any, so I was very naive towards body modifications. He saw my stare making him chuckle and started explaining the various tattoos. He let me move his arms around as I listened to him and examined them.

The boys grinned at each other, a few catcalling. Raul rolled his eyes at them and Patrick shot a couple of the guys mock glares. Raul smiled at me and excused himself to go get changed, since he was still wearing some of his uniform.

"I like him." I whispered to Patrick who chuckled at my words. 

He left to join his friends, letting me make friends on my own.

Next one.

"Daniel Agger, trying to decide if I'm in heaven or hell because you are an angel and I'm in sweet agony." His smirk was cocky as he leered at me.

He was quite handsome, I felt pretty flattered but I could tell he was joking. I tilted my head to the side, my face turning red. Patrick observed me from the other side of the room, standing with Steven, as the guys introduced themselves. Daniel seemed like he could take some good-natured teasing.

"Marietta Stander, pretty sure I'm in hell, you're causing me agony." I smiled sweetly and the laughs from the boys boomed around me. Daniel went bright red and he was about to walk away, but I winked at him to show him I was just teasing him.

"I'm engaged." I whispered conspiratorially and he grinned, obviously feeling better. He took it the exact way I didn't want him to and he winked at me, walking away, strutting like a peacock.

"You shouldn't have encouraged him any further, chica." A soft lilting voice, with a strong Spanish accent stated right behind me.

I turned around and my eyes met the same intense eyes from the game. It was the golden haired Torres.

I shrugged and smiled cheekily. He looked at Daniel, who was strutting around and being boisterous.

"He's a big flirt, watch out for him." He smiled and left as quickly as he came.

I was a bit taken aback but quickly forgot about it as the rest of the team introduced themselves. Reina flung an arm around me as he guided me to Patrick, while telling me little embarrassing things about the various teammates as we walked past them. Patrick looked relieved but happy as we arrived.

"Hey lief." I said, and he pulled me towards him, almost a little possessively. He pulled me closer, as the rest of the team eyed me. I waved at a couple of the guys, who were leaving and his grip got a little tighter. He was talking to Steven.

"Ow."

I gave him a push as his grip started hurting my arm. He let go but ignored me. I rubbed the spot and looked up as I felt an intense stare on me.

It was Torres.

I smiled at him but went back to listening to the two men.

"So you guys played an awesome game today." Patrick complimented his friend.

Steven nodded in agreement and turned to me, as if to say, 'do you agree?'

"Uh... yeah, you guys played well." I stated, flustered. Patrick laughed and Steven looked dejected.

"I'm sorry," I said feeling bad, "My mind wouldn't have been on the game. There was so much that happened this last few weeks, I apologize for that." I stated.

Patrick rolled his eyes at me and I punched him on the arm. He chuckled, rubbing his arm and Reina came closer to us. Raul seeing the commotion came closer as well.

"Oh it's all good. May I ask what happened?" Steven asked.

I blushed, not comfortable with talking about myself. Steven and Reina smiled at me, encouraging me. Before I started, I glanced to the back of the room and my eyes met Torres's eyes. I looked away quickly, as I felt my body get warm under his gaze.

"Well, I just graduated from University. I got engaged, my best friend got engaged too and now I live here."

The three men congratulated Patrick and I, with handshakes and hugs.

"Bloody hell, we have newly engaged couple here!" Reina shouted out, drawing the attention of everyone in the room, including the intense gaze of Torres.

I was getting hotter and hotter under his gaze and it was a disconcerting feeling. Only Patrick had ever made me feel that way and I didn't want to feel that way with anyone else.

I think.