17

The doctor walked into the room, a smile on his face. It had been a couple weeks since the crash, and Marietta was slowly coming out of her coma-induced like state, slowly healing, but very weak. Fernando was there today but he was being relieved by Aaron soon. He looked at his watch. He had to be by training at 10 am, and he was about an hour away from his training ground.

She had not woken up yet but Fernando was positive she will soon. Of course, it had been very hard the last few weeks to get Patrick to leave her alone but he had managed to do so. Unfortunately, he had lost his friendship with the man and had to get Patrick banned from the hospital by security. He rolled his shoulders, his anxiety catching up to him. He needed to leave and leave soon.

"Marietta should be waking up soon, Mr. Torres. Just be patient. Her head CT's show she has average and active brain activity. All very good signs. Ah, Mr. Gordon." Doctor Thomson shook the newcomers hand enthusiastically.

Aaron smiled at the doctor and then greeted his friend. Steph had not come with today, since she was exhausted. She had spent most of her time with her friend, packing her friend's clothes and their own. Fernando had offered for the couple to stay with him, and they had gratefully agreed. Hotels were expensive and so was their wedding they were planning. Besides, once Marietta joined them, Steph could help out with her while Fernando trained and Aaron did the part time work through his uncle.

"Thank you Doctor; I will leave now. I am late." Fernando said, the relief of Aaron's arrival obvious.

He walked up to her bed, eyeing her peaceful sleep. She was still heavily bruised, black and blue with a cast around her leg and her arm. Otherwise, she was still as beautiful as she was the day he met her. He leaned forward and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. He felt her stir under his lips but she didn't wake up. He sighed, his rising hopes dashed again.

He found himself missing her, much more than he thought he would.

He nodded goodbye to the men and left the room, almost sprinting down the hall.

If he had stayed a few minutes longer, he would've been able to say hello to the woman who had squirmed her way into his mind.

--

Everything was bright, loud and too much for my mind to comprehend.

My body was sore, so sore. I wanted to cry but I found myself unable to. I was dehydrated, my throat feeling dry and rough. I groaned and exclamations followed the sound. I wanted to whip my head to the side, to stop staring at the stark white ceiling and see who was making these sounds. I knew however, that this wouldn't be wise, as my neck was tightly bound. Before I could move my head, two faces popped into my eyesight.

"Aaron?" I asked, my voice croaky.

His grin was wide, his eyes full of joy. He was a very handsome man but he was always smitten with my best friend. It didn't matter though; he was like an older brother to me. I wanted to ask where Steph was but I found myself starting to cry, the relief at seeing his familiar face overwhelming. My emotions were out of control, the confusion of my pain and situation too much.

"Marietta, you're awake. This is amazing." His grin was bright and with careful movements, he hugged me.

I bit back a sob, the pain now getting too much.

"It hurts." I whimpered out.

The man next to Aaron frowned, and gently pushed my now concerned friend away. He was a handsome man too, although older. He was the doctor, I thought to myself as he pulled out a little light and shone it into my eyes. He did a few other tests but the pain continued to rise in my body. After what seemed forever, in a heavily silent room, he pulled away and a relieved sigh escaped him.

"Is she okay, Doc?" Aaron asked, his warm hand encasing mine.

"Yes, she's as good as the situation allows her to be," He faced me now, ignoring the relieved sigh from my friend, "We will have physical therapist come visit once your strength is up. Here, let's get some pain relievers in you."

I had started to squirm, my attention waning. He reached over to the side and pushed a button. After a few minutes, my body became numb and I sighed. A thought hit me and I frowned at the doctor.

"A physical therapist?" I asked and I felt Aaron's hand tighten around mine.

I frowned at my friend, taking in his worried face. His hand was uncomfortably hard on mine and I wanted to hit him. I looked at the doctor again, dread settling into my stomach.

"Yes, unfortunately due to the collision with the tree, your left knee was crushed." His words felt like a heavy stone on my chest, as I nodded in numb understanding.

"I won't be able to dance again, will I?" I asked, my voice was soft and he shook his head sadly.

I nodded again, and felt a tear run down my face. Aaron lifted my hand and gave it a kiss. It was supposed to be comforting but I found it annoying. I tugged it away from him and he looked hurt.

"Only Steph I supposed to feel those lips." I quipped, trying to push away my devastation.

He snorted and I sighed loudly, as the doctor waited in silence for my questions. Before I could ask, a yawn escaped. My eyes started to close on their own, the warmth of the hospital bed pulling me into a welcome oblivion. The world went dark as my eyes fluttered close.

"Mr. Gordon, I think it will be good if you inform the rest of your friends that she has woken up. I think we should leave her to heal and enjoy her slumber." A smile escaped, as I heard the sensible words from the doctor.

"Yes Aaron, leave me alone." I mumbled faintly.

I'm not sure if what I actually said was heard or that they understood me, as the welcome darkness consumed me.