Fetch

Two weeks later and nothing much has turned up about the man in the mask. By now more people have seen him and heard of him, but nobody seems to know who he really is or what he's doing here. Apparently he's been busy. One thing is clear though: if he keeps going like he is, he'll catch the Watch's attention and that is enough to make Garrett steer clear of him and get his mind back on his job.

Tonight he's back in Basso's office, listening to the details of his latest job. An anonymous client wants to get their hands on one of Serendi's most recent works–a necklace. People are saying it's his best work yet and as a result, everyone wants to get their hands on it.

"Of course," Basso sighs, "that means people are willing to pay more than usual to hire guys like us. The client's willing to go as high as three hundred, and that's just upfront."

He takes it; he'd have to be stupid not to.

Basso stops him before he can leave. "One more thing. Serendi hasn't forgotten that mask you stole." He chuckles. "Either of 'em, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gotten tighter security since then. Be careful tonight."

"I will."

"You'd better be. I don't wanna lose my best thief."

"You're not getting rid of me that easily." He says over his shoulder as he leaves. He can hear Basso's amused muttering through the windows as he goes.

Seeing Serendi's Jewellers again after so long reminds Garrett that some things never change. He climbs inside using the pipes running up and inside the shop's northern wall then decides maybe some things do.

Perched on the vents running along the ceiling, he listens to two guards banter in the shop's main area below before he moves on. Only two guards for the whole shop? It's not a very big shop and it's true this is the only room most thieves would bother looking for, with all its cases of jewelry, but still. Maybe Serendi isn't worried about thieves tonight.

Crossing the wooden beam into the next room, he stops in the little space above the room and finds Serendi and presumably a customer talking. And about the necklace, no less. Tonight is starting to feel like an apology.

"Thank you again," the customer says, shaking Lyegrove's hand. He's wearing gloves. "The Empress was very excited when she heard about your work."

His accent is a dead giveaway he's not from anywhere in or around the City. Garrett has heard people from Blackbrook and Illyria talk before. They don't sound like this man.

"Oh it's no trouble at all, Lord Attano." Lyegrove replies. "A chance to have the Empress wearing my work is reward enough. I think she'll be very pleased with my latest piece."

The man smiled. "So do I."

"It would make a fine present for any young lady, if I do say so myself."

The information sets his heart racing–and not in a good way. The Empress wants the necklace too. The voices below him fade to background noise. Is the job even worth it now? Basso likely didn't know about that part, but he'd be willing to bet the client did. That would explain the high price they were willing to pay. And why they chose to remain anonymous.

Still, three hundred upfront… How often does he, or Basso for that matter, stumble upon that kind of money? An empress would have all kinds of things to wear, part of him reasons. She'd also have more than enough guards. That's probably who Lord Attano is. But one guard is better than a squad of them.

The men below have moved on to discussing prices. His decision made, he heads down to the basement. Hopefully Lyegrove didn't change too much.

The workshop is blessedly empty and, after a quick search through the desk drawers to find a clue to the combination, so is the safe. Garrett is actually a little surprised he bothered changing the combination. It's the smart thing to do but he wasn't very impressed with Lyegrove's ability for forethought the last time he was here.