One Good Turn Deserves Another

The Lord Protector took off months ago and took the Masked Felon with him. Presumably one went back to Dunwall and the other followed. Hopefully they stay there for good.

Since their departure, Garrett has been enjoying his freedom. His quiver is lighter without sawtooth arrows in it and not having to look over his shoulder every time he goes out leaves him feeling almost giddy. This, coupled with the scaffolding slowly disappearing from Grandmauden and some of the other districts, and life slowly but surely coming back to the City make it seem like things are finally looking up. The City feels like home again.

Then, just a week later, he comes back to the Clock Tower one night to find a message from Basso: Your friend from Dunwall's back. Thought I'd let you know since you can't seem to stay away from him. -B.

He tosses the note into the brazier and starts packing sawtooth arrows in his quiver again. They've never seemed so heavy.

The incident with the Primal still hangs heavy in the back of his mind. The Primal hasn't reacted like that to anyone but Erin and even then it never lashed out. The whole thing felt like being caught in a particularly bright light: hardly able to see, let alone able to think or move or react. His life depends on him being able to think and move fast. And he's not keen on being caught unaware again.

But over the next couple weeks things are, suspiciously, business as usual. He takes jobs and keeps his head on a swivel the entire time, but he doesn't catch so much as a glimpse of Corvo or his masked shadow. It's infuriating. He jumps at every creak, reaches for his bow at every banging shutter. He uses the Primal much more often, scanning his surroundings and bracing for that prickling feeling. It never comes. Maybe Corvo's empress is keeping him busy this time. He's cautiously optimistic.

The gossip flooding the streets, though, is unavoidable. Word is, Garrett isn't the only one on edge. He might not see much of the Masked Felon, but others do. People claim they're seeing a skull mask outside their windows at night, they're worried he's coming to get them. They claim he's an agent of Red Jenny.

Despite being able to fill a book with everything he's heard, he doubts most of them are true. After all, no one ever reports the Masked Felon leaving any of his victims with anything more than a couple bruises and a headache. Even so, it isn't long before the Watch has him in their sights and Wanted posters are scattered throughout the City.

It sounds to Garrett like the Masked Felon is doing a poor job of keeping a low profile. Then again, maybe he doesn't realize the Watch is after him. Or maybe he just doesn't care. The thought sends a flurry of old warnings swirling through his mind and a phantom ache through his left hand, but he doesn't let himself dwell on it. It's not his problem if he doesn't know how to keep quiet.

No, his problem is the latest job he's taken from Basso. A woman well-known among the underbelly of the City, and to Basso, was recently robbed by the very group of smugglers she was working with. She lost several different items of varying prices and rarity, but nothing so important to her as her treasured black pearl ring. As she's preoccupied with damage control, she's hired Garrett to get it back and given him a list of their hiding spots, both old and new, to check out.

There are twenty hiding spots total, and they're scattered all around the City. From Stonemarket to the Old Quarter all the way to Cinderfall. He can't check all of these places in one night and the smugglers will be eager to leave with their treasure as soon as they can. That leaves him with a week, maybe less. He needs a way to narrow this down. Black pearls are rare, so it's likely being kept somewhere out of the way where it won't be discovered before they can leave.

What's the most inconvenient place for smugglers on this list?

He treads carefully over old pipes and stonework, mindful of the last time he was here. Though the wood creaks and the pipes groan, they hold his weight. Good. The last thing he needs is to fall through another roof.