Chapter 2

October 8th 2021

I'm rushing as I make my way to Olive Garden. I don't know how many times I said "I'm sorry" to strangers that I bumped along the way. My heels and pencil skirt for work are restricting my movements and it just doesn't help, especially when I'm rushing.

My sister Eleanor called me earlier for a dinner. I had to make an early out at work because this isn't scheduled. Eleanor and I have scheduled dinner every Tuesday night. It's our way of staying in touch despite our now different lives.

She's married to Richard; her longtime lover since college. Their ability to maintain a strong, loving relationship after having been together for almost ten years really fascinates me. How can two people not get tired of each other? It's so romantic, I wanna throw up thinking about it.

I felt a great sense of relief when I finally saw that Olive Garden sign get bigger as I get closer to it, especially when my sore feet are screaming to be freed. When I came through the door I was able to see Eleanor first thing in the crowd, she's staring outside, glancing at the vehicles and the people passing by as she waits for me at our spot near the window. I bet my ass she came early just to get to us to sit there.

"Have you ordered yet?" I asked as soon as I get to her worrying that she might have already been hungry since the traffic surely made her wait longer for me. She just looked at me and shook her head slowly instead of verbally responding with a "no".

There is something wrong.

I know a fake smile when I see one. Is this why she called me?

I stopped myself from overthinking. Maybe she's just tired, or sleepy or maybe a little ill. I try to not think much out of a little indifference. But I'm certain that something is wrong.

I saw a glance of the waiter in my peripheral vision. I called for him and signaled to take our order. We take the same thing every week so, I don't really need a menu.

"2 porterhouse steak, medium rare, one with baked potato and one with roasted vegetables... Oh and 2 glasses of Cabernet, thank you!" I ordered as I was sitting down in front of Eleanor.

"Why the sudden dinner? It isn't Tuesday, you missed me?" I joked, trying to break the deafening silence between us. Instead of answering my question as to why we're having an unplanned dinner which I hate because sudden plans ruin my schedule but she's my only sister so, I'm more than willing to break schedules for her. She just gently lift up her glass and took a sip of red wine out of it, which I didn't even notice she has earlier... Well, at least now I know why she's acting weird. It's the wine.

"No... I have a story to tell." She said, finally answering me while delicately put her glass back at the table.

There was a moment of confusion for me. A story to tell? How important is that story that it can't wait 'till next Tuesday? It's only 4 days away. I try to think of what could that story be, but nothing came into mind. I have no idea what it is she's about to tell me. But there's also a bit of excitement, I wonder what kind of gossip is this? Are there coworkers cheating? Maybe Isabella got fired, or did she finally steal her neighbor's white dog to dye it key lime green? Oh, I hope she did, it was my idea.

She spoke out of thin air, "our bank statement said he bought some jewelry last month... Guess what? He didn't gave it to me," she then sips again. He? Who's he? I'm only gathering information from "our bank account" statement so, I think it's Richard right, her husband?

"I also found a hidden merlot... it was in a bottle of Cabernet, I opened it by accident the other day. Neither of us drinks merlot. And why the hell is it concealed in a bottle of Cabernet?"