Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Where is Eleanor? The same question continuously echoes in my head. Nothing feels real at the moment, if this is a dream, I already want to wake up. Please wake me up and be right by my side Eleanor; I whisper in my head.

I'm on the floor wondering what could have happened when I heard my telephone rang. It rang more than I could count before it stopped. A few seconds later it rang again. I looked at it thinking who could it be? Could it be Eleanor? I wanted to pick it up but my body feels so heavy that I couldn't bring myself to stand up.

It rang again, but this time it left a voicemail.

"Zoe?" The voice immediately brought me to tears, I was expecting anyone but mom.

"Is Eleanor really missing? Are you alright? Please call me right back." The tiny shakes in her voice makes me sure that she's just as unwell as I am. I bet she's worried sick but how can I bring myself to answer her call knowing damn well that I'm one to blame for Eleanor's disappearance. If only I insisted, if only I was there.

I heard the beep one last time from the telephone, my mother ended the voicemail without much to say but ask how am I.

I am devastated. I have no one besides my sister. I love my parents, I really do but they were so caught up work when I was a child that Eleanor became my mom and dad. She cooks me meals, and prepares me to school. She teaches me how to do my assignments and bonds with me everyday. She's the only person that showed me unconditional love but now she's missing.

I curled up like a child in my apartment's floor and cried myself to sleep. With ever breath that I take I feel my chest tighten and with every tear that falls from my eyes is a feeling of guilt and blame from everything that's happening. I somehow wished not wake up the next day, but I did... it was kinda disappointing.

I woke up from the  rays of sunlight that hit my eyes, Danielle, one of my friends is standing in the other side of my living room opening the rest of the curtains and my gigantic windows.

I feel a little sore from sleeping on the floor, I feel my left arm stiffed when I try to sit up. The air coming from the now open windows gives my apartment a sense of freshness, and lessened my feeling of my house being crowded.

I stand up and feel the tiles on my bare feet. It's white and Eleanor was right when she told me to buy this. It is comfortable.

I smiled of the thought for a while but thinking about Eleanor immediately brought me back to the spiral I was last night. My sniffles brought attention to Danielle, she had no idea I was already awake before she heard me.

"Zoe..." she comes to me and caress my back before wrapping me her arms. Her warmth gave a sense of comfort. Danielle is a sister from another mother. She, aside from Eleanor is the only person I trust. I don't have many friends, I just need one true one and that's enough; and that's Danielle for me.

I cried in her arms for I don't know how long, I'm just glad she didn't talk the whole time because that would be awkward, at least for me.

I tried to pull myself together when I have no tears left to cry. I told myself that's the last time I will cry and no more. I will find Eleanor and bring her back to us.

Danielle prepared breakfast for the both of us. She cooked a nice bacon, omelette, and waffles which I refuse to eat but Danielle being Danielle was able to make me finish the meal. We talked the whole morning and decided to got to the police station to ask for details about Eleanor. Where she was, where she could possibly be or whatever happened to her.

I look at myself in the mirror while my mind drifts apart from my body. I'm wearing a simple plain white shirt with straight pants top with a beige colored trench coat. I don't if I'm ready to know what could have happened to my sister but I have to know. After all, I have to call my mom back with news.