6. Healing Wounds

TW: discussion of sexual/emotional abuse

Thank you so much to everyone who's been reading so far! The small handful of you make me excited to keep going. If you have any feedback please don't hesitate to share :) Also, this chapter is pretty heavy, so please be gentle with yourself- take breaks or don't read if anything is too upsetting <3

We rounded the corner onto my street, walking under the dim glow of the streetlights, our hands interlaced, arms glued to each others. Matty held my bouquet for me, which the bartender had run after us with since we'd forgotten it back at our booth, both too distracted by each other to realize. He didn't have to run very far or fast though. We both were dragging our walk out for as long as possible, not wanting the night to end.

As we arrived at my front door, I tucked my arms under his jacket, wrapping them around him, not wanting to let go. He put his around me in response. I knew what was coming, and I wasn't ready to say goodbye.

"Will you come up for a bit? I'm having too nice of a time to part just yet." I said, looking up at him, my eyes wide with hope.

He looked at me sadly as he placed a hand tenderly on my cheek. "I'd love nothing more than that, but I want you to know... This isn't just a one-night thing for me," he said, his eyes soaked with sincerity. "And I want to prove that to you. So in the fashion you deserve, I'd like to thank you for such a lovely evening," he kissed my left cheek, "Then kiss you goodnight," then kissed my right cheek, "And call you in the morning so we can make a plan do this all over again as soon as possible," then placed one more kiss on my lips. "Oh no, not that gorgeous pout again," he said as I frowned in response.

"I'm not busy right now, why can't we just do it again now?" I said stubbornly. 

He laughed, eyes crinkling once again. My heart fluttered.

"Will you at least come and tuck me into bed? Pretty please?" I asked sadly.

He laughed at my overexaggerated pout, shaking his head before he placed a long kiss on my forehead. "You really make being the perfect gentleman very difficult, you know?" A smile broke out on my face. "Well fuck, now how am I supposed to say no to that smile?" he said with a look of adoration. He sighed and rolled his eyes before beaming back at me. "After you, my dear," he said, waving me forwards.

We walked up the stairs and I tossed my keys on the kitchen counter as I flipped the light switch on. I shrugged out of my coat, took his from him, which he thanked me for, and threw them onto my small couch. Turning around to face him, I watched as he surveyed my new home. He walked slowly around the large room, looking around my living room area, peeking into the bathroom, then the kitchen, then looking behind the curtains I used to separate my bed from the rest of the space. 

"So this is where you live..." he said as he casually strolled around the space. I waited nervously until he finished. 

I knew my home was much smaller than his and it was definitely much less fancy. It wasn't nearly as impressive as his place, and even though I loved the home I'd made for myself in London, I found myself starting to feel a bit self-conscious about it. 

"Amazing. This is absolutely amazing..." he mumbled to himself before he turned to me. "How did you manage to make this feel so homey in such a short period of time? Hasn't it only been a month? And it's already so cozy and sweet in here... I love it."

I tried not to make my pride too obvious, but I was so happy that he loved my home as much as I did. 

"Oh!" I remembered. "I have your things," I said, scuttering into my bedroom. I grabbed his hoodie and sweatpants that I'd left on my bed, which I'd originally planned to sleep in again tonight. I hesitated briefly before picking them up and bringing them out to Matty. "Here you go. Thanks again for lending me these."