Endless Snow

Warning, Dark Themes.

Crunch

Crunch....

Crack

Snow cracked and shifted as booted feet pushed through mostly frozen snow with a thick slab of ice on top of it.

"Huh..."

They leaned down, staring into the shadows of a half rotted trees hollow.

"NIGHTY!" Dream shouted finding the body freaking out.

Nightmare was not amused when his twin called him for a dead body, Dream freaked out even more when it was found alive.

He was even more confused, when he realized said body looked like a babybones version of his sibling.

"What the...."

------

He hurt....

Everything hurt...

His body was breathing heavily due to the pain, and Fable wished the pain would just stop.

He was also cold.... so cold.

"He won't stop shivering..." a voice whined.

"What do you expect, its a freaking winter wonderland," a sarcastic grumpy voice responded.

"OH!! we can start a fire to warm him like the villagers use to do!" said the whiny voice, and wow.. they were way too cheerful.

"We... are not, starting a fire two feet from the Tree," came the grumpy voice sounding angry.

Well... for good reason, even Fable knew fire plus tree equalled badness.

"Um... take him to a shelter at the village?" came Mr Whine doubtfully.

"You mean the village that died to Plague, we are not taking a baby bones into a place where the bodies still lay in the streets."

Ewwww.....

Thankfully he fell fully asleep again.

------

The first thing Fable did when waking was shriek, most people would when someones face was a centimetre from your own. The face shrieked also, leaping back and stumbling into snow.

Fable stared.

The apparently passive Nightmare stared.

"I'm okay!" the Dream apparently the whine finally said.

"Only you Dream..." Nightmare sighed.

------

So... here was the story.

Nightmare never ate the apples, but a plague got the villagers instead.

The End.

Alright not quite the end, eternal winter seemed to have taken over Dreamtale and even the tree was starting to suffer. Both twins worried, as Fable was the first thing they'd seen alive in years. They could survive by the trees energy, animals and others could not.

"Since you look like a mini version of Dream, I though placing you in this sheltered area of roots of the tree may help you... specially since there is no food here," Nightmare admitted.

"Thank.. you?" Fable replied.

"Is this yours, I couldn't open it?" Dream asked waving a familiar book around like a spaz.

"My Book!" he cried happily, hugging it to his chest once he got it back.

"Glad your okay kid, and apparently the tree could semi feed you magic but you can't stay here the tree can't give out much magic and you'll starve soon enough," Nightmare said with a frown.