Chapter One: The Celebration

Am I out of my mind? the young woman thought.

The sun glinted through the window with just enough angle to brighten the room without baking it. Still, she squinted a little as she glanced out onto the meadow, tilting her face up to the warmth.

She took a deep breath and waited, then breathed again. In, out, in, out. It wasn't working; she could feel her stomach turn over and over. Impatiently she clutched her arms around her waist, ordering the butterflies to cease their flutter within her.

Unable to take it any longer, she stood up and paced the room delicately. She fanned her forehead as her pulse continued to sprint. She checked her reflection in the mirror.

This has to work, she thought. He has to say yes. Everything has to be perfect.

Still, there was that small uncertainty that things wouldn't go the way she hoped. There was always that chance.

But she wouldn't focus on the negative aspects, not today. Not today, of all days.

The gentle knock on the door punctuated her thoughts, and she heard her name through the wall. She knew who it was.

"Come in."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Seven months earlier * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hey Lance!" Justin Timberlake called out as he slammed the car door shut. "What's the rush?"

Lance Bass stopped his jog, turned around on the stone walk and assessed his friend. "My mom wanted to give you something before we left, so she said to stop by," he answered. "We don't want to be late."

"Why can't we?" Justin asked, grinning. "The restaurant's not going anywhere. I'm the guest of honor. They can wait."

"Justin, be punctual for once," the young man answered, turning his key in the lock. "Come on."

The two stomped their snow-covered boots on the welcome mat and entered the darkened foyer.

"Mom?" Lance called. "We're home."

"In here," a woman's voice called.

Justin, walking ahead, rounded the corner and fumbled against the wall until he found the light switch. "Hey Mrs. --"

A blinding flash cut off his sentence, and when the white spots left Justin's eyes he blinked and saw a sea of grinning faces looking at him.

"Surprise," Lance's voice laughed from behind him.

The packed living room burst into applause, and Lance's mother emerged with an aluminum crown, which she placed on a shocked Justin's blond curls, snapping the rubber band under his chin.

"Happy birthday dear," she said, kissing his cheek and rubbing the lipstick mark off.

As music blasted through speakers and the murmur of conversation filled the room, J.C. Chasez materialized instantly next to Mrs. Bass and engulfed Justin in a bear hug. "Happy birthday," he said, grinning. "You were surprised, huh?"

"Are you kidding?" Justin joked. "Of course I knew there was no restaurant reservation."

Chris Kirkpatrick emerged and jerked Justin's crown half off his head. "Hey, Mr. Big 2-0," he said. "Don't think this means we'll treat you with any more respect now that we're all in the same decade."

"Not for long." Justin replied mischievously. "Ummm, who's turning 30 this year?"

Before Chris could retort, Joey Fatone attacked Justin and wrestled him to the ground, growling. "The little guy is a man, haha!" he yelled. "Our boy is growing up."