♕ - prologue

❝ 𝐪𝐮𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐇𝐞𝐫 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞. ❞

- - -

2:38am, St. Louis, Missouri, USA.

The sound of lightning striking the ground could be heard miles away; knocking out the lights and electricity of any nearby building. Each ray of light would disappear almost as soon as it appeared, illuminating the sky in quick flashes. Rain poured from the heavy grey clouds, shielding the moon from the eyes of common earthlings. But she could see it. She could see everything, staring out of the cracked window with a handkerchief in hand. She was born with stronger sight than the average person, allowing her to take notice of even the tiniest of details. In her eyes, she could clearly observe the crescent shape of the moon, taking in the warm sense of superiority that it gave her. This was simply one of many things that made her feel so... confident in herself and her abilities. It made her feel unbeatable.

Breathing in, she could still smell the fresh scent of blood. The air particles gave an irony taste on her tongue, which she did not mind. She raised the pinkish-colored handkerchief to her nose in order to blow it, feeling completely relaxed in the current atmosphere. She was leaning up against the torn-up wall, trusting her luck that the building wouldn’t fall on top of her. The only thing that bothered her right now was her own allergies, as it was spring. The pollen in the air only worsened the fact that the abandoned building that she was in was dusty and covered in cobwebs. A truly embarrassing weakness of hers, but at least she was capable enough to get the job done.

Tearing her gaze away from the window, a small smile began to stretch the corners of her lips. She could hear the subtle whimpering of the other person in the room; trembling, he was, being tied to ropes behind his back. Tape covered his mouth, and a cloth shielded his eyes. He was bleeding out of his abdomen and upper left shoulder, along with a third stab wound in his right leg. Three fatal injuries and not a medical kit in sight. She laughed, softly, at the sight of the damp cloth, which indicated that he was crying. There was no greater pleasure than seeing a person, especially a person with the status of CEO, shake in fear because of her.

He was an average skinny man who looked as though he hadn’t worked out a day in his life. Conventionally, he was above average in attractiveness, however, the woman didn’t care about any of those details. She just wanted to relish the moment, as she had priorly outsmarted the man’s bodyguards, knocked him out, and dragged him here. She knew this CEO, of course, as she had temporarily worked for him under the stolen identity of one of her previous homicide victims. With her smile widening, she spoke. 

“Are you done crying, Mr.Wattston?” She mused, “Oh, don’t worry about answering, I know you can’t speak.” Of course, she wasn’t an idiot. She could obviously recognize his debilitating tape and wounds.

Although she was mentally ill, she was conscious. So terrifyingly conscious of her actions. With each word that she spoke, with each action that she chose to commit–she did so with sanity. True, raw sanity. She knew what she was doing was morally wrong, and that she could go to prison for it–but did she care? Well, if she did, maybe she wouldn’t have already killed seven adults and three children. Mr.Wattston would be her eleventh victim.

Pushing herself off of the wall, she shoved her handkerchief back into her jacket pocket before walking towards him, kneeling down to reach his height. Though, she did keep a foot and a half away, as she didn’t want him touching her. He was sprawling around desperately, confused by his situation. He tried to escape from his confinements, but laying on the cold hard ground with three gaping stab wounds kept him from making any progress. The woman could see the tears flowing past the cloth, making her scoff. ‘So he didn’t stop crying.’