5

**This chapter contains mild to moderate smut. Discretion is advised!**

matthew boldy -

"Yo, has anyone seen my mouth guard?" asked Kevin Fiala from across the locker room while we were getting our equipment on for the game tonight against the Stars.

I had gotten word from coach Dean Evason that I was going to be sent back down to Iowa after tonight's game as the forward I was filling in for was soon to be returning back to the team from the injured list. It's been a thrill to be up here in Minnesota for the couple days I've been up here, and hopefully I'll find a permanent spot on the roster soon. Just as long as I keep working hard.

Although I felt really bad that I was forced to leave Peyton here in Minnesota by herself after we had just gotten together. I'm sure she would understand that we would have to have a long-distance relationship for the moment, and that this stuff just happens in the realm of sports. I mean, I had to have a long-distance relationship when I found this chick when I had a game in Connecticut, which was when I was with Boston College at the time. Though that relationship didn't last long when I found out she cheated on me with another hockey player. Oh well, her loss.

I looked at my black iPhone 11 and smiled as I saw a text from Peyton wishing me luck for the game ahead. I responded with a thank you and a white heart emoji before putting my phone back down.

Brandon Duhaime came up to me with a smile on his face. "What are you smiling about over there, Boldy?" He asked as he started to tape his calves.

I blinked, removing my smile off of my face. "I dunno what you're talking about," I responded.

He smirked. "Uh huh. Finally get a girl? I know you've been looking at girls down in Iowa," he mentioned.

My jaw dropped. "Excuse me? Sorry that I'm lonely, or used to be," I muttered as my phone buzzed again, most likely a message from Peyton that I wasn't gonna open with Duhaime around, or any of my teammates for that matter.

"'Used to be', huh?" Brandon repeated. "So you did get one,"

I sighed. "It's none of your damn business if I have a girlfriend or not. I'm not concerned about Kaylee, because I don't talk about her because she's not my girlfriend," I retaliated.

He grunted with a smirk. "So, who's this 'girlfriend' you are speaking about?" He asked.

"Brandon, stop asking about Matt's girlfriend. We all know it's that one chick he dogpiled onto after the game against the Maple Leafs," chirped Matt Dumba.

I felt all pairs of eyes fall onto me as my face started to redden after Matt's comment.

"He's blushing!" exclaimed Jonas Brodin.

Duhaime, you fucking clown. I thought.

"I'm blushing because I got embarrassed! I felt bad because I broke her camera, and I wanted to set things right!" I responded, standing up to show my frustration.

My heart started beating faster and faster as more smirks appeared on my teammates' faces. I can't wait to go back down to Des Moines so I wouldn't have to deal with these knuckleheads.

Everyone started to laugh before the conversation died back down to their previous conversations.

Kirill Kaprizov made his way over to me and sat down next to me. Typically I never spoke to him because he was hard to understand with his hard and distinct Russian accent, along with the fact that he practically didn't understand a single thing in English. Okay, he understands preschool-level English, that's pretty much it.