Chapter V.

1938, AUGUST 25

1938, AUGUST 25

  "Do you know why Ms.Cole has ordered us here?" The young Adelaide whispered as if the matron would come in any second to question her about another missing book.

"No. But I don't like it. This time, she was different. They have come to take us." Tom Riddle muttered from his stance by the window. Adelaide gripped the mattress tighter.

"Where?"

"To a bad place for mad people. I won't let them." He held a blank stare, the same cold expression when a broken window followed or a fire was about to start.

"We are not mad, Tommy. We're not..." Adelaide tried to reassure them both despite the fear crawling around her.

"I won't let them take us. Don't worry."

And just like that, a knock sounded before Ms.Cole stepped in. The two siblings whipped their heads around. "Tom, Adelaide, you have a visitor." She said it in a sweet tone that did not fit her.

A man whose hair was graying and long also appeared by the matron's side. "How'd you do, little ones?" Adelaide swiftly jumped from the bed and stood tense. Ms.Cole excused herself before exiting the small room.

They stared at him with the same vigilant and intense gaze for what turned into minutes. No one dared to move.

"My name is Albus Dumbledore, and I've come to chat." He seated himself on the corner of Tom's bed.

Adelaide observed his attire. The man wore strange, outdated robes. But she supposed it wasn't completely odd. Production was focused on wartime efforts, so she couldn't blame him for the way he dressed.

Even if it was so silly.

Tom's interrogation cut her thoughts off as he also took a seat on a chair. "You're the doctor, aren't you?"

Dumbledore was quick to shut him down. "No, I'm a professor."

"That's not true. They want to examine us. They say we're different."

"That could be true."

Adelaide suddenly gained the confidence to speak. "We are not mad," the short girl said defensively.

Albus Dumbledore chuckled lightly.

"Hogwarts is not a place for mad people. It is a school of magic."