EIGHTEEN

Archer

"Holy shit."

With my hands on my hips, I look out over the clearing at the sea of wildflowers, taking in the mix of blues and pinks, purples and greens.

I can hear Niall coming up the trail behind me, the sound of the small pebbles crunching underneath his shoes. What I don't expect is to feel the sting of his palm across my ass when he comes to stand next to me, making me jump and turn on him with flaming cheeks.

"Niall!" With my hands across my own ass, I stare at him with my mouth wide open. "What the hell did you do that for!"

He shrugs as he leans down to press a chaste kiss to my lips. "My hand was lonely."

"You are ridiculous." I laugh, rolling my eyes.

Stepping in front of me, Niall turns around to shoot me a wink before continuing along the path.

Just the sight of him, dressed in a pair of athletic shorts and an old shirt with the painted background of the flowers makes my breathing hitch just a little bit in my chest.

It also makes my heart squeeze tighter and tighter.

Something that happens a lot lately.

Following behind him, I catch up easily as he leads me to his hiding spot.

At least, that's what he calls it.

Puffy, white clouds paint the blue sky as the sun sits high, warming my skin as a slight breeze blows through the trees. A perfect day.

"So just past these trees there's a clearing and the best place to swim here in the Folklore Woods." Niall's voice is full of excitement, just like it was this morning when he picked me up from Ellis' house with an iced coffee waiting for me. "So we can swim and then if you want to eat, we can do that too. There's a big rock we can sit on."

"You didn't tell me to bring a bathing suit!" I gasp, looking up at him.

Niall's tongue darts out across his bottom lip, the moisture glistening in the sunlight. "Who said you need a bathing suit to swim?"

"Niall Horan." Squinting my eyes, I glare at him trying to fight the smile tugging at the corners of my lips. "Are you trying to get me naked?"

Placing his hand over his heart, his eyes go wide. "Archer Riley, what kind of man do you take me for?"

"A horny one." I state, matter of fact. 

His laugh echoes around me as he lunges for me, wrapping his arms around my waist and lifting my feet off the ground, spinning me around as his face burrows into the nape of my neck.

"I take offense to that." Pressing his lips to my sun warmed skin, his playful tone makes me smile. "Although, you aren't wrong. I wouldn't complain if you wanted to get naked with me."

"I knew it!" I laugh as he sits me back on my feet, smiling up at him. "Maybe I'll just make you suffer."

"Please don't." Pouting, he looks at me for a brief moment before the path in front of us levels out. "Ah, here it is."

Gorgeous.

The time I've spent in Maine has been some of the best times that I've ever had.

And when it comes to the scenery?

Yeah, you could say the same thing.

My eyes are wide as I look at the natural spring in front of us.

Pebbles make up a small bank, crystal clear water gently lapping at the edges. Massive boulders frame the water as deep evergreen trees create a blanket around the area. You can see where the water runs over the rocks, cascading down into a waterfall that sounds like the most peaceful thing you could ever experience.