TWENTY THREE

Niall

"I'm so ready to be home."

Sitting next to Bradley on the truck, we ride back towards the station after responding to another fatality call. "I know that's right."

I've never regretted my decision to become a firefighter, not once.

But on days like today?

Days like today make me feel like a career as anything else would have been a good idea. Working as a first responder, I've seen things that I could have never conjured up even in my worst nightmares.

Responding to a crash on the highway just outside of Cape Charlotte, we are ready to go at the sight of two cars twisted together, screams piercing through the air.

I've always stayed calm when responding.

Always.

But when we arrive and one of the mangled and twisted cars is the same make and model of the girl I love, my heart twists in my chest as I hit the ground running, not even waiting for anyone else.

With each step, my breathing shallows out and panic guts me — the fear propelling me forward even faster.

It can't be her.

It couldn't be.

Archer wouldn't be out here — no. She was supposed to be spending the day with Ellis.

When I left for work yesterday, I kissed her on the lips and told her I would see her tonight. Told her that I loved her and that I couldn't wait for our date, one she had planned but wouldn't tell me the details to.

Please, please, please.

I had to hold her in my arms again.

As I finally rounded the twisted metal, the scene of a man behind the wheel with blood streaming from a laceration along his brow, I motioned for the paramedics as they made their way towards me.

It felt like the call moved at the speed of light in front of me as I went through the motions, hating the sight of a white sheet being pulled over the bodies of the people who never knew that today was the last day they would have to speak with their loved ones.

I hated it.

Once we finally managed to put out the fires that started between the cars and helped with the cleanup, all of us were more than ready to get back to the fire house and get ourselves cleaned up.

I couldn't wait to call Archer.

Couldn't wait to hear her voice.

As soon as we pull into the garage and get everything taken care of, the first place I go is to my bunk and search around for my phone, finding it plugged in with a picture of Archer at the beach as my lockscreen.

Dialing her number, I make my way through the station and step outside and lean against the wall.

"Hey! You've reached Archer, I'm not able to come to phone but leave a message and I'll get back to you! Bye!"

I blow out a breath, knowing that there's no way she isn't safe, but when I close my eyes the scene from today plays out in my mind again.

The scene with the car that looked just like hers.

Mangled, totaled, deadly.

"Hey peach. It's me." My tongue rolls across my bottom lip as I look out into the small yard. "Just calling to say that I miss you and that I love you. I can't wait to see you tomorrow... Call me back when you can. Love you — bye."