16.Death and grave •

I can hear my mami wailing and crying at thesame time talking her heart from my room. I wanted to go out and comfort her tell her that everything id going to be alright that we should just leave and start a whole new life where no one knows us but I didn't. I cowardly stayed behind the door and listen to everything that was going on in the other room.

I hate my stepdad!

I didn't know what happened or what the devil did to mami but I heard her scream in agony I open the door and went out of my facade but couldn't proceed to the room I am dead scared of what I will see, what is he doing to her? Is he raping her? I had so many questions remembering how I also scream when he penetrates me how I begged him to stop but he did, how I even passed out but he didn't stop untill he got what he wanted.

My head start spinning at the memory I just remember. I slowly went back to my room and sit on the floor holding my legs to my chest tightly with tears streaming down my face when I couldn't take it any more i close my ears with my fingers. This is traumatic.

Few moments later I heard mami coming out of her room whilst calling my name I quickly stand up with a shaky leg before I could even get to the door she has already come in.

"Mami" i called with a shaky voice studying her to make sure she is okay and has no bruises. she quickly embrace me in a hug as we both cry "maa mi.." I sob loudly and hug her more tightly her warmth sipping into me "I'm afraid." I utter

"Shhh don't be...okay?" She break the hug and drag me to sit down on the bed " my dear you are strong so don't be afraid, forgive me p lea se .." she breaks down in tears as she held my hand in hers.

"No mami" after some silent moment i ask "where is he?" She knows who i am referring to but she didn't reply me rather sit properly on the bed, her back resting in the bed board and put my head on her lap as she stroke my hair lovingly that is how I feel asleep in her arms.

May be if I didn't slept just maybe the outcome would have been different!

****

I woke up to the noise coming from the Palour my room was empty only iki sitting down on my bed side drawer with a puffy red eyes. Adjusting my eyes to the ray of light coming in through the window i look around again and mami was not there.

With a chocky voice i ask "why are you crying" i asked surprise as to why she was here. my head was hurting so I close my eyes and open them again to see iki with fresh tears on her face as she calls for ummi

"What is it" I ask confused and at thesame time worried, what is happening that made ummi come to our house this early morning? What is this noise all about?!

"What is happening iki" I ask getting down from the bed she stopped me by engulfing me into a hug, something is really off.

Fear of the unknown lace in my voice as i ask again "please tell me what is happening?, where is mami?" She wasn't responding and i hate the silence she was giving. Without hesitation i rush to the door where I clash with ummi, she is not crying like iki but her eyes was red, I already had the bad feeling that something was wrong now I'm certain.

"where is mami?" I ask curiosily, studying her face and the reaction I got made me took off on my heels and run to their room, the room was tidy like nothing happened last night and two women were there the first one I recognize as mami step sister aunty Khadija and the others that I don't know her.

I don't want to see something worse than my mind is already thinking but I unfortunately that is the reality as my eyes landed on a figure lay down cover with white clothes, Aunty Khadija was stand by the head of the person so I couldn't see the face but the bump I see on the person wrapped white cloth made me move back.

"Mami?!" It came out as a whisper loud enough for those in the room who didn't noticed me before to do. Aunty Khadija was the first to rush to me giving a full view at the person face. It's her, its mami, laying motionless her face was uncovered. It looks pale, her lip chapped slanted upward into a smile and her eyes close behind her lids. It is really her.

Frozen was an understatement to describe my current situation. I think I just dead inside.

I slowly move closer to the bed my leg became so flimsy that they couldn't hold me I sit beside the couch and like a pliff my hands was on her face, it feels cold.

"Mami"I call dryly I move back when the shock took control of my body and I slip into a dream likestate. I couldn't cry because it feels so unreal.

I became deaf to the outside world all I could hear was just the sound a heart shattering into piece that can never be mend. I was unable to feel anything except the numbness of my limbs. My flimsy legs couldn't carry me so slip down still in dismay I look at the forever veiw and then everything becomes completely blank I couldn't not hear the sound of my shattered heart nor could I see mami pale lifeless face it's just me against darkness.

****

Everything feel unreal when I woke up, finding myself all alone with Ummi and a defeating silence made me realize that I was not a dream I would wakeup from and everything will vanish. It is the reality.

"Ummi" I whisper and I doubt if she heard me she also seems to be lost "ummi" I called again this time audible. She immediately turn to me "have you wake .."

I didn't let her finished "where is mami" I ask I waiting for her to reply but she remain silent "where is mami?" I ask again sitting up despite how my head was aching .

"Anam you should rest" she held me back.

"Ummi where is mami!" I shout, I was losing my mind.

She was taken aback by my reaction "I'm sorry.. mami is no more" she started crying "she has left us"

I stood up but the ground beneath me seems to sway, my knees could not hold my weight any more. I choke trying to gasp for air a sharp pain raked my chest. I fall to my knees sobbing uncontrollably.

To whom life is given dead is promised, what ever you do in life always remember that dead await you and it shall surely visit each and every one of us. May Allah guide us towards the right path, a big Ameen

I wasn't even let to say a final good bye to mami, now i am left with only the image of her lifeless body, forever engraved in head. i tap on Ummi's phone kept beside me 12 June 23 this day, I will never forget.

"Come here" mami gives me a motherly hug and i hug her back. Fresh tears streaming down my cheeks.

It all feels like a bad dream!

I cried. I cried till I couldn't feel my eyes. I don't think there will come a day I'd cry like today. I poured my heart out, it hurt me to the core that i will never be able to see Mami again nor hear her voice. Shikenan she is gone forever!

I lose count of how many hours i have been crying. I am in my room when Nenah opened the door and limp towards me her face worrisome. She was who i have been waiting for in this situation i only want to be in her arm. Fresh tears escape my eyes and roll down my cheeks my lip trembling as i try to say something but I couldn't.

She gave me exactly what i needed, a warm motherly hug making me to burst into more tears. Ummi and Iki greeted her then exit the room. Nenah didn't stopped me from crying she let me cried, few minutes later Ummi and Iki came back with plate of food the house is noisy now am sure many people are her for condolences.

I ate a amount of food together with Nenah when suddenly some one barged into the room. It was my stepdad!

The story has just began!

Follow for the next chapter.

Do you think mami's dead is a natural dead? Let me hear you opinions.