Chapter 7: A Captain should have Common Sense

Chapter 7

Fang nervously sat in his seat, writing on his notes then looking up at the entrance of the conference room expectantly.

To think someone as strict as Captain Solar would arrive a little earlier. He checked the time once more, noting it was thirty-three minutes past seven.

He frowned, maybe he was a little too enthusiastic. New workplace, new team, new environment and all that.

Naturally, he was starting to miss his old team—but Fang can't have any regrets now. All he could do was embrace the situation and move forward.

The sound of the automated doors hissing open and closing snapped him out of his reverie, and he hastily stood up just as said Captain entered the room. Solar looked up at him from his tablet, face filled with surprise as if he just remembered about his existence.

Fang held back the annoyance he felt at that thought and saluted, "Good morning, Captain."

"Right. You're here now." Solar mumbled, face twisting before looking away and waving a hand at him, "At ease."

The annoyance was bordering close to anger, but Fang took a deep breath and tried to start up a conversation, "Is there a reason why you're late, Captain?"

"What are you? My secretary?" Came the immediate retort, "I overslept. It's harder to sleep in my new quarters... since you know- my last one got destroyed."

Fang felt his face heat up at the jab and with gritted teeth he spoke, "I've already apologized to you about that."

"And yet, it still remains a mess of ruins." Solar drawled before making his way at the back of the room and towards the mini kitchenette, heading for the weird black machinery he had been eyeing since he got there, "This is why I say apologies are basically useless if you don't act on them."

"Is this your way of telling me to go fix your room?" Fang deadpanned, earning a chuckle from Solar, much to his surprise. 

Apparently, he wasn't much of a grump as the rumors said.

"We don't have any missions at the moment, so why not?" Solar turned to him with a raised eyebrow, and Fang stared back in disbelief.

Okay, he takes back that last comment.

Was he actually serious?!

First day and he was tasked to do construction?!

"Captain, if I may. I'd rather you give me more enlightening discussions of how to become an inspiring Captain... such as yourself." Fang winced at his own words while Solar had turned back to the machine putting water and dark powder in it that Fang had yet to identify.

"Inspiring Captain, huh? I guess it is natural that young, aspiring cadets would want to be in my shoes." The human sounded so arrogant that Fang wanted to gag.

"I'm a Lance Corporal and we're the same age."

"I saw your file. You're a month younger than me." Solar turned back to him, face smug.

Fang was holding himself back from wanting to wipe that look off his face with a good punch.

"Okay, so lessons you say?" Solar turned to the high cupboards, reaching for one of the mugs, "Let's start with all the mistakes you made that got you working with Adudu."

"What-"

"You can't be a good Captain if you lack common sense."

"I didn't lack common sense! The criminal tricked me!"