Ep 1: Why are we here?

Some months had passed since the Corporal had arrived to join the Reds. He had a couple of encounters with the blues but not enough to know their names or who they were. Now after a couple more months he had met the 2 new guys on the team. A man in orange armour called Dexter Grif and another in maroon armour named Richard Simmons. They had their moments together but Steve usually kept to himself and disciplining them when needed to as a corporal.

In Steve's humble opinion he both liked them and disliked them at the same time. Grif is a cool guy and quite a realist but Steve gets really annoyed seeing Grif being lazy especially when they are put together on drills. Not only that, Grif stole his Lunch one time and Steve had a hard time forgiving him. Simmons is a nice guy but it was clear that he was a kiss-ass to Sarge and can be a bit annoying.

His nightmare he had was kept a secret with Sarge and Lopez. He didn't want the other 2 to tease him on about it. After a rocky introduction Steve gets on the best with Sarge as they have both served in the Human Covenant War. Lopez was fine, although he didn't talk at all. It took a while for him to come around and appreciate the brown soldier.

For now the Reds were stood on the base as 3 soldiers stood on top of the base in the box canyon.

Simmons: Hey

Grif: Yeah?

Simmons: You ever wonder why we're here?

Grif: One of life's great mysteries isn't it? Are we here because of some cosmic coincidence or is there really a god watching everything? You know, with a plan for us and stuff. I don't know man, but it keeps me up at night....

The pair just looked at Grif in silence, puzzled and utter confusion.

Simmons: What? I meant why are we out here, in this canyon.

The grey Corporal just raised an eyebrow on his orange colleague.

Steve: What was all that talk about god?

Grif: Uhh.....nothing.

Simmons: You wanna talk about it?

Grif: No.

Steve: You sure?

Grif: Yeah.

Simmons: Seriously though, why are we out here? As far as I can tell, it's a box canyon in the middle of nowhere.

Steve: Well I'm here because I've been ordered to. Dropped off from a pelican like you both only a couple weeks earlier than you. Ain't much of a mystery there, I think...

Simmons: Well yeah, but the only reason we set up a Red Base over here is because they set up a Blue base over there. And the only reason they have a Blue base over there is because we have a Red base here.

Grif: Yeah. That's because we're fighting each other.

Simmons: No, no. But I mean, even if we were to pull out today, and if they would come and take our base, they would have 2 bases in the middle of a box canyon. Whoopdee-fucking-doo.

Grif: What's up with that anyway? I mean, I signed on to fight some aliens. Next thing I know, Master Chief blows up the Whole Covenant Armada and I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, fighting a bunch of blue guys.

Steve: I mean, when you put it like that. It does seem like a massive waste of time doing all this when the whole galaxy is in a war with the covenant. Humans vs aliens, planets being glassed, human genocide going on, utter chaos ensues in the galaxy and I'm missing out on it....

The Orange and Maroon just stare at the grey corporal in a bit of fear as he stood there eyeing the sky above him.

Simmons: you'd rather be fighting Aliens who glass planets or a bunch of idiots dressing in Blue?

Steve: Both would be fine by me. The chance to kill a brute who rip people in half like a Wookie would gratefully satisfy me. The fury of a brute shouldn't be underestimated, they're sadistic monsters who love to kill and torture anyone who gets in their way, even each other. They can make a flute out of spines and drink blood from skulls.

This sent multiple shivers down Grif and Simmons who just stood still in shock.

Simmons: okaaaay then.

Grif: Maybe if an alien does show up we know who to sacrifice first.

Steve: *scoffs* Very funny Grif.

Grif: Good point....from me any way.

Far away, the trio were being spied upon. By the enemies of Red Team, Blue Team. There were 2 troopers in blue armour standing on a cliff face. One was in a cobalt blue armour holding a sniper rifle he was known as Church. The other was in an aqua blue crouching next to him, his name is Tucker.

Tucker: What are they doing?

Church just let out a frustrated groan as he turned to his annoying colleague.

Church: What?

Tucker: I said, "What are they doing now?"

Church: God damn, I'm getting so sick of answering that question!

Tucker: You have the fucking rifle, I can't see shit. Don't bitch at me because I'm not going to just sit here and play with my dick.

Church: Hey look, they're just standing there and talking, okay? That's all they're doing, all they ever do is stand around and talk. That's what they were doing last week, that's what they were doing 5 minutes ago. So when you ask me "What are they doing?" I'm going to tell you they're just standing there and talking! That's what the answer will always be! They're still just talking, and they're still just standing there!

Silence soon returned as the pair went back to looking at Red Base.....

Tucker: What are they talking about?

Church: You know what, I fucking hate you.

In their argument, the reds were still talking about their purpose in life and the reason they are there and no-where else.

Grif: Talk about a waste of resources, we should be discovering intelligent forms or life or something to you know...fight them.

Simmons: Yeah, that's why we should be in charge.

Steve: I agree.

Then out of no-where Sarge's voice yelled out to the 3 men on Red Base.

Sarge: Ladies, front and centre on the double!

The corporal nodded as he ordered the others to follow him.

Steve: on the double ladies!

Simmons: Fuck

Grif: yes, sir....

And after that they went down to their sergeant and see what new orders and discussions had to be made.

~~~~~~

I'll update this every now and then whenever possible....Hope this RVB fanfic does well, I absolutely love the series and hope I can add to it. More to Steve will come up later...