Chapter Eight

The morning came like a club to the stomach to Kodee. Her family would leave that day. Then she would have no one. Not Remi, not Willis, not her parents... she would be alone until she was discharged in a few days and Dakoda could come to pick her up.

Kodee felt impossibly more tired than she had the day before, even after the night's sleep. She sniffed and blinked at the tears which were already beginning to prickle her eyes.

The door opened and she heard steps on the ground and could identify her mother's footfalls.

"Kodee..." Mrs. Knox said.

"Mother," Kodee said stiffly, "if you're here to call me childish–"

"No, I don't think that's why we're here."

Kodee froze, then shot up from the bed, whirling around. "Willis?!"

Sure enough, there he stood, grinning hugely. "Hey, Kk."

Kodee opened her mouth to say something but then frowned. "What now?"

"Those are your initials, aren't they? Kk?"

Kodee laughed. "I guess so. How did you get here? Why did they let you in.?"

"It became a mental health concern for Miss Knox when her fiancé disappeared, leaving her in deep depression," Willis said dramatically. Then he smiled and stepped over to sit next to Kodee on the bed. "Is it true you couldn't live without me?"

"Well," Kodee huffed out a laugh. "Yeah."

Willis leaned over to wipe tears off of Kodee's face that she hadn't realized she'd shed. But they weren't tears like the others she'd cried in the past days. They were tears of joy.

"You know," Willis said, "I couldn't live without you, either."

Kodee froze, a dark blush dusting her cheeks. "What?"

"I've been your fiancé for a while, but I think that I want to take you out on a date for real now," Willis said.

Kodee stared at him, her eyes wide and her lips parted.

"Kodee Knox, will you go out on a date with me?" Willis asked.

"My baby girl," Mrs. Knox said, tears in her eyes, and when Kodee and Willis both raised their eyebrows her, she said, "Sorry. I'll be quiet."

Kodee turned with a smile back to Willis. "Yes, Mr. Fiancé, I think I will."