𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚗𝚊 𝙵𝚒𝚜𝚑

I don't think I have ever truly cried until after I watched this anime. Get your tissues, get prepared to feel a special kind of pain when listening to Prayer X, get prepared to never ever ever get over this, because this is Banana Fish!

Titles: Banana FishEpisodes: 24Genres/Themes: Action, Adventure, Thriller, Psychological, Drama, Boy's Love, Delinquents, Organized Crime, Suspense, Shoujo*My Anime List Score: 8

Titles: Banana Fish
Episodes: 24
Genres/Themes: Action, Adventure, Thriller, Psychological, Drama, Boy's Love, Delinquents, Organized Crime, Suspense, Shoujo*
My Anime List Score: 8.49
Aired: Summer 2018 - Fall 2018
Source: Manga
Studio: MAPPA

* (SHOUJO?? Like I know it's considered shoujo just because it came out in a shoujo magazine, but it's subject matter seems more josei at least! Demographics are blurry and subjective, I'm realising, so decide what you will!!)

⚉⋆⚉⋆⚉
Synopsis

A young boy with striking beauty, razor wit, and deadly skill... Growing up knowing he had to survive relying only on himself rather than the people who wished to use him, Ash Lynx was a runaway raised by the cruel and infamous New York City mafia boss, Dino Golzine. Now at age 17, he's carved out his own place in the harsh city as a feared boss of his own well respected street gang, but there's no escaping the thumb Golzine continues to hold him under.

Golzine doesn't take kindly to Ash when he begins unravelling the mystery of a strange something called 'Banana Fish'- the words Ash's older brother has been muttering since returning as a hollow shell of himself from the Iraq War.

With enemies known and unknown on Ash's heels, old scars reopening and fresh wounds digging deep, Ash meets Eiji Okumura, a Japanese photographer who came to America to report on street gangs and recover mentally from a spirit-shattering pole vaulting injury.

Ash, who shields himself in a fortress of coldness, melts when he's with Eiji, and Eiji begins to feel a new strength and inspiration take hold of him as he gets to know Ash. An unexpected connection develops between the two boys from completely different worlds, and they're determined to protect it and each other as they face the danger and despair of 'Banana Fish'.

⚉⋆⚉⋆⚉
Why Watch?

Oh, what a funny silly name! Must be a funny silly anime!

No.

It is heartbreaking.

But it is a masterpiece.

(In my opinion.)

I had a unique watching experience with Banana Fish, as I had watched most of it on Youtube and then the channel got removed before I could finish it (I think I was way too young to be watching it when I did, though!).

Then, rewatching it later, having a better understanding of the characters and subjects due to time and maturity, I finished the series in one home-alone-weekend. And boy was that a good thing, because I needed time to cry and process all that is the beauty of Banana Fish without family members being too concerned.