Chapter 1

Aurora

I woke up to the sound of my twin sisters muffled voice, "...rora, Aurora, AURORA," she screamed as she lightly shook my shoulders, begging me to wake up.

tears rolling down her rosy cheeks. Desperate to give my sister a sense of security, I try to sit up but before I can I wince at the sharp pain that shoots through my ribs.

yep, they've definitely broke something this time.

I carefully get up, trying not alert Athena of my injuries. I give her a slight smile as I continue to sit up, leaning my cut and bruised back against the basement's blood-stained wall, ignoring the all too familiar pain.

"How do you feel? Are you okay?" Athena asked in a panicked voice, "never felt better," I sarcastically answer, seeing a small smile slip through my sisters tear stained face.

It was now 6am in the morning, Athena and I would usually be up by 5:30 preparing John's breakfast.

John is our stepfather.

He used to be the most caring and loving person in the world, but after our mum passed away when we were 7, he changed.

He started to drink and take drugs and it eventually led to him beating us every day and treating us like trash.

Being the older sister, (even if it's only by a couple of minutes), I have always felt the need to protect Athena, so whenever I could, I would take the beatings and punishments for her.

Some days I couldn't protect her. All I felt was guilt and sorrow, even so my sister constantly reminded me that it was okay and that we would always have each others back.

She's the only reason I stay in this cruel and unforgiving world.

Hearing the oil on the pan sizzle, I drift back into reality, realizing that I had zoned out. I quickly turn down the heat and crack two eggs in the pan whilst placing a few pieces of bacon on either side.

I had finished cooking and I neatly placing the bacon and eggs on a plate, bringing it to the table, I then make my way towards the fridge to grab John his beer.

I hear his heavy footsteps upstairs which sends shivers down my spine.

I immediately fasten my pace, grabbing the beer and placing it on the table. I sigh in relief. Athena had finished cleaning just in time.

We saved ourselves from getting punished, John often 'punished' us when we didn't do what he wanted or when we took too long.

I walked up to my sister slightly relieved and playfully nudged her shoulder, careful not to knock one of her bruises.

"Now we go to hell 2.0" I say with a goofy look on my face, not only to put a smile on my sister but also because I know that school was the only place, we felt safe, and the only place John couldn't get to us.

                                                                              *     *     *

SCHOOL (Athena)

I'm currently struggling to stay awake as Mr S is explaining the formula for linear relations.

Normally I don't mind school, but I've always hated math, it was the only class I didn't have friends in, and I have nothing left to learn.

It may not seem like it, given Aurora and I's situation but we're the top scorers in the school.