Week 12: Vital Signs II

Duration: 3 hours

I. Oxygen Saturation (1 hour)
   A. Importance of Monitoring Oxygen Saturation
      1. Role of oxygen in maintaining health and preventing complications
         Example: Adequate oxygen saturation is essential for the proper functioning of organs, tissues, and cells in the body and to prevent complications such as tissue hypoxia or organ damage.
      2. Factors affecting oxygen saturation levels
         Example: Respiratory conditions, altitude, smoking, and certain medications can influence oxygen saturation levels.
   B. Techniques for Measuring Oxygen Saturation
      1. Pulse oximetry
         Example: Nursing assistants can use a pulse oximeter, which is a noninvasive device that attaches to a patient's fingertip, earlobe, or toe, to measure the percentage of oxygen-bound hemoglobin in the blood.
      2. Interpreting and documenting oxygen saturation levels
         Example: Normal oxygen saturation levels typically range from 95-100%; nursing assistants should document the patient's oxygen saturation level and report any abnormal findings to the healthcare team.

II. Height and Weight Measurements (1 hour)
   A. Importance of Monitoring Height and Weight
      1. Assessing nutritional status and growth
         Example: Regular height and weight measurements help track a patient's growth, nutritional status, and overall health, especially in children and the elderly.
      2. Calculating body mass index (BMI) and identifying potential health risks
         Example: BMI is calculated using height and weight measurements to determine whether a patient is underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese, which can help identify potential health risks.
   B. Techniques for Measuring Height and Weight
      1. Proper use of height and weight scales
         Example: When measuring a patient's weight, nursing assistants should ensure the scale is balanced and calibrated before having the patient stand on it, preferably without shoes and heavy clothing.
      2. Measuring height using a stadiometer or other methods
         Example: To measure a patient's height, nursing assistants can use a stadiometer or have the patient stand against a wall with a level object placed on top of their head, marking the wall and measuring the distance to the floor.

III. Recognizing and Reporting Abnormal Findings (1 hour)
   A. Identifying Abnormal Vital Sign Values and Trends
      1. Knowledge of normal vital sign ranges and variations
         Example: Understanding age-specific normal ranges and variations in vital signs, such as lower blood pressure and faster respiratory rates in children, is essential for recognizing abnormal findings.
      2. Monitoring trends and changes in vital signs
         Example: Nursing assistants should be alert to trends and changes in vital signs, such as a progressive increase in blood pressure or a sudden drop in oxygen saturation, which may indicate a developing health issue.
   B. Reporting Abnormal Findings to the Healthcare Team
      1. Prompt and accurate reporting
         Example: Nursing assistants should immediately report any abnormal findings or trends in vital signs to the healthcare team, providing the specific measurements, time, and any relevant patient information.
      2. Documenting vital signs and communication with the healthcare team
         Example: Nursing assistants should document all vital sign measurements and any communication with the healthcare team regarding abnormal findings to ensure accurate record-keeping and continuity of care.

Upon completing Week 12, students will have a comprehensive understanding of vital signs assessment, including oxygen saturation and height and weight measurements. Recognizing and reporting abnormal vital sign findings is crucial for providing timely and appropriate care to patients in various healthcare settings.