Week 17: Basic Life Support (BLS)

Duration: 3 hours

I. CPR and AED Use (1 hour)
   A. Understanding Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
      1. Importance of CPR in emergency situations
         Example: CPR is a life-saving technique that can maintain blood flow and oxygenation to the brain and vital organs during cardiac arrest, significantly increasing the chance of survival.
      2. Components of CPR: chest compressions and rescue breaths
         Example: Effective CPR involves delivering chest compressions and rescue breaths in a specific sequence and at a proper rate to support circulation and respiration.
   B. Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Use
      1. Role of AEDs in treating sudden cardiac arrest
         Example: AEDs are portable devices used to deliver an electrical shock to the heart, which can help restore a normal heart rhythm during sudden cardiac arrest.
      2. Proper AED use and safety considerations
         Example: Nursing assistants should be familiar with the correct placement of AED pads, steps for operating the device, and safety precautions, such as ensuring that no one is touching the patient during defibrillation.

II. Choking Management (1 hour)
   A. Recognizing Signs of Choking
      1. Signs of a partially and completely blocked airway
         Example: Signs of a partially blocked airway include coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing, while signs of a completely blocked airway include the inability to speak, cough, or breathe and turning blue.
      2. High-risk populations for choking incidents
         Example: Infants, young children, and elderly adults are at a higher risk for choking due to factors such as underdeveloped airways, difficulty swallowing, or reduced cough reflexes.
   B. Choking Relief Techniques
      1. Abdominal thrusts (Heimlich maneuver) for conscious adults and children
         Example: Nursing assistants should be able to perform abdominal thrusts by standing behind the choking person, placing their hands above the navel, and performing quick inward and upward thrusts to dislodge the obstruction.
      2. Back blows and chest thrusts for infants
         Example: To relieve choking in an infant, nursing assistants should alternate between delivering five back blows and five chest thrusts until the obstruction is cleared or the infant becomes unresponsive.

III. First Aid Basics (1 hour)
   A. Principles of First Aid
      1. Goals of first aid and the role of a first aider
         Example: The primary goals of first aid are to preserve life, prevent further injury, and promote recovery, with the first aider being responsible for assessing and providing initial care for minor injuries or medical emergencies.
      2. Importance of personal safety and infection control
         Example: Nursing assistants should prioritize their own safety when providing first aid, using standard precautions, such as gloves and handwashing, to minimize the risk of infection.
   B. Common First Aid Scenarios and Interventions
      1. Managing minor wounds and burns
         Example: Nursing assistants should be familiar with basic first aid techniques for minor wounds, such as cleaning and bandaging, and burns, such as cooling the burn and applying a sterile dressing.
      2. Recognizing and responding to medical emergencies
         Example: Nursing assistants should be able to recognize signs of common medical emergencies, such as an allergic reaction, seizure, or stroke, and know how to respond appropriately, including when to call for emergency medical assistance.

Upon completing Week 17, students will have acquired essential skills in Basic Life Support (BLS), including CPR and AED use, choking management, and first aid basics