Chapter 10. Quid pro quo (I)

Nina's stare was locked on the piece of lemon floating on the cup of black tea, in perfect sync with the overwhelming tranquility of that lazy Sunday afternoon on the otherwise busy Munich.

The soft light bathed that room exquisitely, and she felt almost overwhelmed by that sensation of peace.

'We can go to Munich.' Johann had stated his wish to leave Heidelberg, the very next day. 'I have an apartment there.' He had never mentioned he had one.

And so, they had, and for a week she had taken care of everything while he was recovering from the injuries, a very bad sickness that had left in in bed for most of the time and the emotional turmoil of being loved. If there was any turmoil to begin with.

She turned her head to the other sofa, finding the chaos of blonde flocks lying over the armrest and the two hands holding a book, the only parts of him visible from that position.

And back to that slice of lemon.

And back to the curtains and their soft dance under the summer breeze.

Enough.

Her mind rushed over the hundreds of excuses she might have to start a conversation, but none was needed as she found Johann's eyes locked on her, whose head had leaned backwards the bare minimum for him to see her.

Still, as usual, he said nothing, did nothing.

"Were you reading my mind?" He might, as he seemed to do exactly that every time she had wished for his attention, and he delivered to a wish she hadn't even verbalized.

Johann smiled, satisfied like always with his own omniscience.

"I can also hear you constantly moving on the seat." He didn't move one bit, but the book ended up over his lap, completely closed. "Do you want to talk?"

Nina took a deep breath and looked at the room around them, then back to him, to find him sitting now.

And back to the room again, and the mundanity of it all. The Classic, dark furniture felt all too predictable in that equally collection of white and cream walls. Luxurious indeed, but incredibly underwhelming.

Yet she had no idea what she had been expecting.

"I was just curious about this place...." She looked at the room once more, this time focusing on the marble fireplace in front of him, his personal choice instead of a TV it seemed. "Have you lived here... for long?" At all?

He remained silent, like he needed to think the answer.

"It's the closest I've had to a home of my own." He not quite answered. "One I never disclosed to anyone."

Johann surely knew how to get her attention, even when being so incredibly vague. So, she rapidly stood, forgetting that tea and the bored lemon for the sake of curiosity, maybe even dark secrets.

Her eyes deviated for a moment to that consistent set of paintings in the living room, a collection that captured the same melancholy that one could find in David Caspar Friedrich's landscapes.

"So... is there something interesting here? Something... personal?" She walked towards the man, who had shoved off the blanket and was already standing.

He was feeling better... no? He looked better, so it might not be so bad to interrupt his rest for a bit. Johann's eyes followed her sudden excitement with a restrained, yet amused smile on his lips.

"Let's have breakfast first. I'm starving," all her interest rapidly drifted towards the man who, for the first time, maybe in his whole life, was admitting possessing a primeval instinct as it was hunger. At least while sober.