Five: More Plagues

The Lord knew Pharaoh would be a hard man to convince. He knew how hard Pharaoh's heart would continue to be. He knew the most important things to Pharaoh were cheap labor, more power, slaves and an easy life. What he cared about, what he craved was more, more. More freedom, more power. The Israelites made the kind of life Pharaoh craved attainable. They did the hard labor, working to their death in some cases, making him more money, bigger palaces, and better gardens. God knew it would take more plagues on the Egyptian people for the Pharaoh of Egypt to be convinced to let go of the help he had grown accustomed to. God knew all of this because He made the Pharaoh's heart stubborn and closed off. God hardened Pharaoh's heart. This allowed the opportunity for God to perform the miraculous signs in front of multitudes of unbelievers. They would then believe. This would be proof that He is the one true God - proof that through no act of nature, magician, or sorcerer - but by the mighty hand of God himself these things happened. God wanted the story of how harshly He dealt with the Egyptians to be told for many generations. Pharaoh and all the generations following will know there is not one like God in all of Earth.

The Lord told Moses and Aaron to take soot from a furnace and toss it into the air. It will become fine dust over the whole land of Egypt, and it will cause festering boils to break out on the men and animals. This plague was terribly painful. Because of the boils the magicians were in too much pain to even attempt to try to stand, much less recreate this miracle. 

During this plague some Egyptian people and even some of the officials came to realize that only God could create such a plague and only God could cure them. The pain and the sight of this plague was tormenting. Still Pharaoh's heart remained hard because the Lord made it so. The Lord had a lot more in store and was prepared for them to experience it all.

The Lord told Moses to go to Pharaoh and remind him that He could easily stretch out his hand and strike down a plague that would wipe Egypt off the earth forever. Instead He has chosen to show the miracles and signs so that everyone would witness and know the power of the one true God. If Pharaoh doesn't let God's people go worship there would be a hail storm - one like that has never been seen before. Pharaoh should be warned to bring in all the animals under shelter, because any living thing in the storm will die.

Officials of Pharaoh who feared the Lord brought their slaves and animals under shelter immediately, but those officials who did not fear the Lord ignored the warning and left their slaves and animals in the field.

As directed by the Lord, after warning Pharaoh, Moses stretched out his hand toward the sky and the Lord sent thunder and hail. The lightning struck down everything in the fields, and the hail beat down every plant that was growing. It stripped every tree. The only place it did not hail was in Goshen where the Israelites lived. (The wheat and spelt survived the storm because it was not blooming yet. It comes up later in the year. Also here again the favoring of Goshen had to have been impossible to ignore.) Fear started to settle into more of the hearts of those who didn't previously believe in God. They were starting to question because of the miracles happening all around them.

Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, "This time I have sinned. The Lord is right, and I am in the wrong. Pray to the Lord, for we have had enough thunder and hail. I will let you go. You don't have to stay any longer."

Moses said, "I will pray to my God and the hail will stop so that you may know that the earth is the Lord's. But I know you and your officials do not fear the Lord God." Moses did as he said he would and God stopped the storm. But, just as soon as the thunder and hail stopped Pharaoh and his officials reneged on their word and refused to let them go.

The Lord told Moses to tell Pharaoh if he doesn't let them go then the following day He would bring Locusts into the land. They will be so thick they will cover the ground so that it can not be seen. They will devour everything left of the land, including every tree left from the hail. They will fill their homes, the homes of the officials and all the Egyptians.

Upon hearing Moses describe what was to come Pharaoh's officials turned to him and exclaimed, "How long will you keep this up so that they are a snare to us? Let them go worship! Do you not yet realize Egypt is ruined?"

Pharaoh heard what his officials were saying and decided to bring Aaron and Moses before him. He told them to go worship, but he wanted to know who was going.

Moses told him they would all be going. It would be the families, children, elderly, and everyone in between. They wanted to hold a festival celebration to the Lord.

Pharaoh replied, "Why must the entire family go? Why not only take the men like you have been requesting. There's no reason to take the women and children!" He got frustrated and told them to leave his presence!

Upon the Lord's command Moses stretched out his hand causing an east wind and the Locusts invaded every area of the land. Never had there been such a plague and never will there be another invasion like it. They covered all the ground until it was black. They ate everything left that was green. There wasn't another fruit or green tree around.

Pharaoh was shocked at the destruction happening to his land. The locusts were everywhere. He feared what would happen if he didn't quickly asked Moses and Aaron to pray to their Lord to take away the deadly plague. When he spoke to them he admitted he had sinned and asked for forgiveness. Moses and Aaron accepted the apology and prayed for the Locusts to be removed. The Lord caused a west wind to carry all the locusts into the red sea. And even though it was over, the miracle would not be forgotten by anyone who endured it. There was no green vegetation anywhere in the land, there was no garden, no fruit trees . The Locusts had destroyed it all. Fear set in, people were terrified. But God had more to show, he wanted people for generations to remember what had taken place there in Egypt. He wanted them to talk about what happened and remember it forever. Therefore He hardened Pharaoh's heart and once again they were not allowed to leave.

The next plague was of darkness. As directed Moses stretched out his hand and a darkness fell over the land. Total darkness that was actually physically felt. It lasted for three days. No one could leave his place, the darkness so black they couldn't see another person in front of them. Miraculously though the Israelites had light where they lived. (God showed up and showed off. God showed his protection of his people, God showed the Egyptians that not only would he protect those who feared Him, but  that things could get worse!) 

By the third day in total darkness the people were ready to do anything to be relieved of the torment they had been enduring. 

Pharaoh summoned Moses and told him to go worship the Lord. He gave permission to even take the women and children. The only thing he asked was that they leave the herds and flock behind. Moses explained they would need sacrifices and burnt offerings to present to the Lord. He assured Pharaoh not a single hoof was to be left behind. At this Pharaoh yelled at Moses, "Get out of my sight and never come before me again! The day you see my face you will die!"

The Lord explained to Moses that He will bring one more plague on Pharaoh and after what they endure, they will be allowed to leave. Not only will he allow him to leave he will drive all of the Hebrews out completely. To prepare for this final plague He told Moses to have all the people, even men and children to ask their neighbors for articles of silver and gold. (The Lord dealt with their hearts and made the Egyptians give favorably to them. Besides, Moses himself was highly favored among the Egyptians. Even Pharaoh's officials respected him.)

(Life Question: How many plagues could you take before you gave in and began to see that God was real and in control? Does it give you comfort to know God is in control? )