Ten: Judges are Appointed

Roaming around the desert did not come without problems. People were already settled around the area and did not want the hundreds of thousands of Israelites moving in on them. Because of this at Rephidim the Israelites were attacked by the Amalekites. It was a tough war and lives were being lost. God told Moses what to do. Moses knew the staff in his hand, God's staff, was the only way he could help his people fight. Moses commanded Joshua to choose some men to go and fight as he stood up on the hill with the staff of God in his hand. He held it lifted up toward heaven. As the war went on the Israelites were winning as long as Moses held up his hand with the staff. If he lowered his hand the Amalekites would gain ground. So, as Moses' arm grew tired both Aaron and Hur helped hold his hand up - one on each side they stood pushing his arm up so that his hand remained up until sunset. With God's protection Joshua overcome the Amalekite army with the sword. 

The Lord told Moses to write on a scroll what had happened as something to be remembered and make sure Joshua hears it because God would blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven. ( God not only wants Joshua to understand that his power and victory came from the hand of the Lord but also He wants future generations to know how He helps his people. He wants us to have faith, and then let go of our worries and stresses and let Him take care of us.)

After this victory Moses built an altar to the Lord and called it "The Lord is my Banner", for hands were lifted up to the throne of the Lord.

Jethro, the priest of Midian and father-in-law of Moses, heard everything God had done for the people of Israel. He heard how God saved their lives several times and brought them out of Egypt. HIs daughter, Moses' wife was staying with him because Moses had sent her and their two sons to stay with him. But Jethro was excited about all he had hears and he wanted to visit Moses and bring his daughter to visit her husband. He also wanted to bring their sons to visit their father. Moses was very happy they were coming and went out to greet them. He was very happy to see them all again. He explained to them everything they had been through and all about the hardships they had faced and overcome with God's guidance.

Jethro was delighted in hearing all that God had done to Pharaoh and the Egyptians for Israel's sake. He praised the Lord and stated that their God is greater than all gods. He then brought burnt offerings and other sacrifices to God. Aaron came out with the elders of Israel to eat bread with Jethro and Moses in the presence of God.

The next morning Moses took his seat to serve as Judge for the people. This went on from morning to evening as they brought quarrels and problems before him to be solved. Jethro saw that his son- in- law was taking on too much as he tried to lead the people. He saw that he was wearing himself out trying to solve all the problems of hundreds of thousands of people. It was easy to see the responsibilities was too much. When he asked Moses about it Moses explained that they came to him to seek God's will whenever they had a dispute. He explained that he informs them about God's laws and decrees. Jethro understood Moses was doing an important thing but could also see that Moses couldn't carry on the way he was going. The work was too heavy. He understood that Moses was the one who should bring the problems before God but he couldn't work alone. He told Moses he should be the representative before God but he must teach a select few capable men - men who fear God, who are trustworthy, who hate dishonest gain - appoint them as officials over thousands, hundreds, fifties and tens. Have them serve as judges, but make them bring the difficult cases to him. Allow them to settle the simple cases alone. This way Moses would be able to better handle everything and withstand the strain.

Moses agreed and did what his father-in-law suggested. He appointed men over thousands, and under them men over hundreds, and under them, men over fifties and tens. Moses taught the men how to handle the disputes in a Godly manner and solve problems in an honest way. After that Jethro returned to his own country.

In the third month after the Israelites had left Egypt they packed up their tents and left Rephidim. They went to the Desert of Sinai where they camped in front of the mountain. It was from the Mountain that God called out to Moses and told him to tell the children of Jacob, the Israelite people, that all of them are to tell the good news about how they have seen with their own eyes how God carried them out of Egypt on eagles' wings and brought them to God's protective arms. Moses was to tell them If they obey God completely and fully, if they keep HIs covenant, then out of all nations they will be His treasured possessions. Although the entire earth is His, the Israelite people will be a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. So Moses gathered the elders together and told them everything God had told him to say. The people knew what God had done for them and they all responded, "We will do everything the Lord has said."

( Covenant is another word for testament - a covenant between God and his people are promises or agreements to each other. This part of Exodus introduces the dramatic beginning of God's covenant with the Israelites. It begins with the commandments which are then built upon throughout the rest of the entire old testament of the Bible. In the new testament , centuries later, biblical writers dust off the old word covenant when Jesus Christ is born. Those writers say that Jesus fulfilled and completed the reconciliation with God which was begun in Sinai. )

The Lord then told Moses he would come to the mountain in a dense cloud in the presence of all the people so that they will hear Him speaking and will then know He is in fact leading them. The Lord said, "Go back and consecrate the people. Have them wash their clothes and be ready by the third day because I will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. Put boundaries around the bottom of the mountain and tell them not to touch the foot of the mountain, if they do they will die. Only when the ram's horn sounds a long blast may someone go up the mountain. The people will hear my voice. They will know I am leading you. Then they will put their trust in you."

Moses did as God told him. He told the people to get ready, then on the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone trembled. Moses led the people to the foot of the mountain to meet God. Mount Sinai was covered with smoke because the Lord descended on it in fire. The whole mountain trembled violently, the trumpet sounded louder and louder. Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him.

When the people saw the thunder and lightning and herd the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled in fear. They stayed at a distance and believed it truly was God who was speaking to them. They were so afraid they pleaded with Moses to please speak to them himself rather than have God speak to them. They were afraid if they heard the sound of God's voice they would die.

Moses told the people God wants them to obey Him, and understand that he wants to care for them and bless them. But they should also fear what He can do when they sin against him.

God called Moses to come up the mountain but to reminded the people, even the priest not to approach. Moses set the mountain apart as holy and warned them again that they must not force themselves beyond the boundary. They were not to come up the mountain.

They stayed put and watched as he walked up the mountain and approached the thick darkness where God was. 

(Do you cast your cares on the Lord? God wants us to let go of all our worries and fears and let Him take care of us. It is hard when we don't see a way to solve the problem, but God does what man can't. There is no problem too big. He can fix it in a blink. Has God fixed a problem in your life once you let go of control and turned it over to Him? )