Fourteen: God's Instruction

Aaron and his sons were chosen as priests, God made the choice because they were of the Levi descendants, called Levites. Not only did they have special, very specific garments to wear they were also to be consecrated, which was a purification process, so that they may serve God. The ordaining took seven days. They were to take a young bull and two rams without defect. (The choosing of a perfect animal made the act more meaningful, and special for God.) Then they took fine wheat flour, without yeast, to make bread, cakes, wafers, and spread it with oil. Put them in a basket and present them in it - along with the bull and rams as offerings. Aaron and his sons were to come to the tent of meeting and be washed there with water. Then Aaron was to dress in the fine garments which were fastened by his skillfully woven waistband. His head was anointed with anointing oil. Then they tied on the sashes. The priesthood was theirs by a lasting ordinance.

God was very specific how he wanted the ordaining to take place and very specific how the garments they wore were made. To be ordained they were to slaughter the bull in the Lord's presence at the entrance to the tent of meeting. Take some of the blood and put it on the horns of the altar with a finger, pour the rest around the inner parts of the bull and then burn it on the altar. Be sure to burn the bull's flesh and hide outside the camp because it is a sin offering. Then after Aaron and his sons have laid their hands on the ram's head and slaughtered it they were to sprinkle some of the blood against the alter on all sides. Cut it into pieces and wash the inner parts. Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the Lord, a pleasing aroma, an offering made to the Lord by fire. Aaron and his sons were to take the other ram and lay their hands on it's head. Slaughter it and put some of the blood on the lobes of the right ears of Aaron and his sons ( which hear God's laws ); some on their right thumbs ( which do His will ); and some on the big toe of their right foot (which follow his steps). Then take some of the blood on the altar and some anointing oil and sprinkle it on Aaron and his sons garments and then they would be consecrated. They were to take the bread and some of the fat from the inner parts and wave it to the Lord as a wave offering. Then burn all of it as a burnt offering. The breast and thigh from the ram were to be given to Aaron and his sons from the other Israelites as their share of a fellowship offering. Aaron and his sons were to eat the meat and bread as their ordination and consecration. No one else should eat it. None is to be left over until morning, it should be burnt up because it is sacred. Anything that touches the altar should be consecrated because it is most holy.

Aaron's sacred garments would belong to his descendants so that they could be anointed and ordained in them.

God went on to explain exactly what offering he would expect daily, such as the lamb offerings, drink offering and burnt offerings. These offerings were to be sent up as an aroma pleasing to God, who would meet with the Israelites and speak to them at the tent. God was to dwell among them and be their God.

God also told Moses to build an altar to burn incense. The altar was to be built to His specific instruction and incense was to be burned at specific times during the day by Aaron and his sons. Once a year Aaron was to make atonement using the blood of the atoning sin offering for generations to come. (Orthodox Jews still faithfully honor the Day of Atonement - but the New Testament book of Hebrews reinterprets this period as a shadow of the real thing to come in Jesus Christ. What a high priest accomplished through ceremony once a year on the Day of Atonement Christ did once for all. As a consequence all of us - not just a purified priest can confidently enter the 'most holy place'. )

There was also atonement money - this money was collected when a census was done of the Israelites. Each one was to pay the Lord a ransom for his life at the time he is counted. Then no plague will come on then. The money was an offering to the Lord to atone for their lives. The money was received and used for the service in the Tent of Meeting.

There was a bronze basin for Aaron and his sons to wash their hands and feet when entering the tent.

There was anointing oil made with specific spices - a fragrant blend, sacred, blended by the hand of a perfumer. The Tent , the ark of Testimony, the lampstand along with all it's accessories, and the table along with all it's articles should be anointed with the perfume. All of if will be considered holy.

God gave the exact formula for Incense and said it is holy and is not used for simple enjoyment. Anyone using it will be cut off from his people.

God chose Bezalei and gave him great skill, knowledge, and ability to make artistic designs with gold, silver and bronze. He also chose Oholiab as his helper , and other skilled craftsmen, to make everything for the holy place exactly as commanded.

The Lord told Moses to remember the Sabbath- keep it holy- whoever does work or desecrates the Sabbath must be put to death. For six days work is to be done, the seventh is a day of rest.

When the Lord finished speaking to Moses on Mount Sinai, he gave him two tablets of the testimony. The tablets were made of stone with the Lord's commandments on it. The words were inscribed by the finger of God himself.

(Life Question: The care and concern everyone put into the worship of the Lord in this time was outstanding. Everything, everyday was done around God. What would life be like today if this were still true? Would people get along better because there would be community work built around God or would people grumble and complain?  Do you think life would be better or more complicated? )