Wattpad Original
There are 49 more free parts

Ch. 5: You've Really Changed

Anna woke to raised voices. They ran over and under each other like tangled yarn, pulling tight in places.

"She needs a blanket."

"It won't help."

"She's shivering."

"She has a fever." The voice was terse. "I've been through this exact same thing before. What she needs is an ice cloth and dream somnium—"

A bark of laughter. "Fuck off, Delafort. You're not going near her with that stuff."

"Quiet. Both of you." A female voice. "You'll wake her."

Anna shifted, her head sinking into something soft. A pillow? The pounding in her head had turned into a dull ache. A sharp pain lanced through her chest, and she sat upright, coughing hard. Her hand came away silver.

Someone sucked in a breath. "Burning stars."

Anna blinked.

The room swam into view. The pale blue walls came first, followed by gauzy white curtains. Several dreamcatchers fluttered in the breeze. They must be at the Hillsbrook house, Anna realized; Celeste loved making dreamcatchers.

She pulled her knees into her chest. Three figures were gathered around her bed: Seraena, Kane, and Ryne. The boys were dirty and bruised, smelling of sweat and mud. Ryne was sporting a bandage on his shoulder.

"Oh, good." Her voice was a croak. "You're both still alive."

"That was quite the dramatic exit," Ryne said.

She lifted a weak shoulder. "I like to keep things interesting."

"How do you feel?" Kane asked.

He was standing several feet away from Ryne, his arms crossed over his chest. Pain lanced through her skull. Anna winced.

"Like shit," she said.

Kane nodded at the empty phial on the bedside table. "Mum gave you something for the pain. She can't, however, do anything for the curse."

His voice was short. Surprise flitted through her, and she looked to Ryne.

"You told them?"

Ryne shrugged. "There's no point in keeping it a secret anymore."

No, Anna realized; she supposed there wasn't. Lucia was free of the Portrait Room. And anyway, keeping secrets hadn't served them very well so far. She rested her chin on her knees, trying to ignore the sharp pain under her ribs.

"Where's Teagan?" she asked.

Kane flopped into a chair. "With Mack and Alfie."

"They're feeding the dragons," Seraena added. "In the salt caves."

Kane took out a polishing cloth He was looking at Ryne very deliberately as he ran the cloth over his knife, as if he was imagining cleaning the weapon on the other boy's organs instead. Exasperation filled her.

"Can you give Kane and I a moment?" Anna asked.

Seraena and Ryne hesitated. It was hard to say who looked more reluctant to leave, Anna thought wryly. She leaned back against the headboard.

"Someone should check on Teagan," Anna said. "She runs circles around those boys. They don't stand a chance."

Seraena and Ryne exchanged a glance. This, Anna knew, was the one thing they agreed on: keeping Teagan safe. In the last week, Seraena had become a de facto guardian to the younger girl; they'd gone dress shopping, and baked pineapple loaf, and even rode a dragon (Ryne had been so worked up that day that Alfie offered to sedate him).