Wattpad Original
There are 35 more free parts

Ch. 19: Destroy Is Such a Harsh Word

Anna stood on the deck of the ship.

Turquoise water stretched out in front of them. Lemon-coloured fish zipped beneath the surface, and Anna had the sudden urge to plunge her hand into the water, to cup a fish in her hands like a fallen star. Ahead, a smattering of green land masses rose out of the sea; the tallest island was dominated by stone towers, which were connected by interlinking bridges. Hot air balloons circled the building like tropical birds.

The Citadel of Noor.

Ryne leaned against the railing. "It'll be a climb."

Anna glanced at him. "I can handle it."

"I never said you couldn't."

"You implied it," Anna said.

Ryne rolled up his shirtsleeves. His dark hair was messy, his cheeks red and flushed. He'd put on weight, Anna realized; muscle, too. His palms were calloused from weeks of swordplay in the Gongo Islands.

"It's not what I imagined," Ryne said.

She raised an eyebrow. "Greener?"

"Friendlier."

"Well," Anna said. "We're not on the island yet." She coughed, raising her fist to her mouth; the skin was slick with silver blood. Ryne looked at her, and she crossed her arms. "I wonder if the Zarobians can heal a bad personality. You could be in luck, Delafort."

Ryne raised an eyebrow and said nothing.

Spoilsport.

The ship slowed to a crawl. A dock came into view; half-a-dozen people were gathered on the platform, dressed in red robes. Most of them sported dark braids, their thick hair twisted into fishtails and ropes and milkmaid crowns.

The ship halted. Anna jumped on to the dock, ignoring the spike of pain. Once, that jump would have meant nothing to her. But now...

Her legs burned.

A young woman stepped forward. "Annalise Cidarius."

Anna smiled. "So I'm told."

"Come."

The woman began to climb a set of stone steps. Anna blinked. Well. She wasn't an expert on security, but she felt these people could do with a guard dog. Or weapons. Or perhaps a survey asking her a few questions. Have you ever killed someone? Did you enjoy killing that person? How likely are you to kill more people today?

You know.

Just the basics.

Anna crossed her arms. "Don't you want to take my weapons?"

The young woman didn't turn. "That knife is hardly the most lethal item that you carry. But you know that already." She paused, her crimson robes billowing in the warm breeze. "You will remain at the ship."

Anna turned. Ryne stood beside her, one hand resting on his sword. His shoulders were relaxed. He looked ready for a cup of tea and a book, she thought; or perhaps a game of chess sprawled out on a lawn.

"No," Ryne said. "I won't."

The young woman turned. "We will not allow a Delafort entry to the Citadel."

Ryne raised an eyebrow. "I didn't realize this was a negotiation."

"Delafort," Anna said. "Stay here."

Anna glanced at the crowd. Most of the robed healers were staring openly, although none of them spoke. Had they taken a vow of silence? She couldn't remember. She'd often sacked off her Foreign Relations classes to sneak into gambling dens or catch frogs, much to Sophie's chagrin.