2 - Jam Tart

Chapter two: Friends 

That same afternoon, was scheduled to be a trip for Hogwarts students to come to Hogsmeade, which meant they had a busy day ahead of themselves. There was always one particular group of rambunctious boys that came in every trip, there was never even a slight bit of silence whenever they came for lunch. And also two very lovely girls called Lily and Marlene who were good company during her working hours. If Serena wasn't cooking or working at the till, she's sat with the two girls listening to all the gossip that goes around the big castle.

"You ready for the rush?" Her uncle asked, with a dreading smile on his face. Of course, Oscar enjoys the amount of money they got out of these short visits from the school, but the family came to realise how hard it is to keep track of all the children.

"Ready as I'll ever be, I guess." Serena mutters, while rearranging some of the desserts. Nobody had gotten one of her new jam tarts, so she was hoping in the rush of people that were soon due to come that there would be one person to get one.

"Good to hear." He replies with a smile. He is so proud of what he and his girls have accomplished here in Hogsmeade.

Sophia walks in with a stack of small plates to place behind the counter.

"Now, when your friends arrive and the crowd has dialled down you can go sit with them for a while. You can also take some cakes with you, if you want." Her aunt tells her, giving her a side hug after putting the plates away.

"Thank you." The girl squeals and gives her aunt a kiss on the cheek.

The rush of students had finally come and the pub was packed full of teenagers. Sometimes, Serena found herself to be jealous of them, the close friendships they get to create over the time of school, and just school in general. Yes, Serena enjoyed her life working at the Cafe and would hate going to classes everyday but she always felt as if she was missing out.

The door rings again, and the group of boys including Lily and Marlene come in. The girls smile and wave at Serena and make their way towards the counter.

"Hey Serena, how are you doing?" Lily was a pretty girl, she had red hair that softly flowed down and stopped just past her shoulders, and eyes as green as the grass in spring time.

"I'm doing good, thanks. Bit of a bigger crowd then we're used to, I think." She replies, looking around at all the full tables filled with people eating and talking to one another.

"Lilys gotten herself into a bit of a predicament." Her jaw drops. "I cant believe that word just came out of my mouth, oh i think i might die, what have you done to me lily! Why me?!" Marlene, also an exceptionally pretty girl, shouts while shaking poor Lily around by her shoulders. "Anyway, can I have a slice of chocolate fudge cake, please." She says after her dramatic display of... I don't even know.

"And can I get the same please?" The red headed girl asks, just about recovering from Marlene shaking her.

"Yep, i'll do you guys a favour." She leans in to whisper to the girls. "Wait a bit until its calmed down a bit in here and bring it over for free." She enjoyed having them as friends, she was so lonely for so long so it was refreshing to have some company every now and again... other than her Uncle and Aunt, as much as she loves them.

"Okay, thank you. See you in a minute." They both walk off, leaving the group of boys to order.

"Hey, what can I get you guys?" she asks with a small smile.

"Oh, wormy, you take our order seeing as you lost the bet." The boy with black hair up to his chin says, a very smug smile on his face. Him and the rest of the boys go and find a table leaving one boy alone.

"Ugh, okay." The blonde boy - Peter - groans. He seemed shy. Poor boy.

"What was the bet? If you don't mind me asking." Serena wondered, hoping for a funny story.

"Well there is this annoying boy in our year and there's a step" He pauses to point at it outside. "right there. Because people always trip on it, we bet to see if he would trip over it, and he did, so I lost." He says, with red cheeks.

"Ugh, I hate that step, I've tripped on it so many times. I cant even count how many people have tripped dove it today that I've seen looking out the window. " Serena complained. "How do you even lose that bet? everyone trips on it, and i very much doubt that you haven't." She says with a small smirk on her face and her head tilted. The boy blushes and looks down with an awkward smile of embarrassment.

"Yeah, I should have guessed that, and I have tripped on it before. Anyway, please could we have one piece of chocolate fudge cake, one slice of apple pie, and a cookie. And do you have any lemon tarts?" He asks. She is very pretty. He thinks.

"Unfortunately I dont, sorry. Is there something else you would like?" Serena asks. Maybe he'll get one.

"Umm... could I have a strawberry jam tart, please." He replies, looking up at the girl and seeing a smile on her face. A nice smile too.

"Of course! You're actually the first one to get one today, it's a new recipe I'm trying. So you've got to let me know what you think." She says with a giddy smile on her face. I hope he likes it. 

He's quite cute.

"I would tell you after but, as you probably already know, my friends are not the most patient people." Peter chuckles, looking back at them hitting each other around the head with napkins.

"Umm, send me a letter then! Then you can tell me how I did without the pressure of your friends impatience." She suggests, the smile still on her face. "What's your name?" She adds quickly before she forgets.

"Peter Pettigrew." Peter says, now wearing the same smile on his face.

"I'm Serena Gray, nice to meet you." She says, while putting the group's things onto a plate each and sliding it towards the boy. "I hope you enjoy." He says thank you and walks towards the group of boys who seem to be having a very heated discussion.

                                                ---------------------------------------------------------

HEY! Second chapter, definitely longer than the first one. Writing these notes are so strange because i'm pre-writing the chapter so i'm literally talking to no one when i write these. Hope you're enjoying so far! (edited 3/12/23)