sick love | chapter 1

• alexa, play sick love by the red hot chili peppers •

•hope you guys enjoy <3 •

------------

~ 5 years ago ~

"I'm sorry." You sighed, holding back tears as you looked at him sitting on your couch, his elbows resting on his knees as he held his hands together. His leg bounced anxiously while he attempted to keep it together. This was far from easy for either of you.

He sighed, "No, I'm sorry." He pat the spot next to him on the couch, signaling for you to sit down. You hesitated, your heart aching and being close to him was only going to make that ache worsen. But after a moment, you ended up taking the offer, slowly sitting down beside him, tensing up as he placed his hand on your knee, leaning into your arm. The urge to cry grew even stronger. This hurt so much more than you wanted it to.

"Jean..." You scoot away from him, "You're making it worse." You said softly as he bit his lip, holding back tears himself. "I know." He looked away, bringing his hands back to their previous position.

You were both young. You were both incredibly stupid. You and Jean have been together since 8th grade year and you stayed together all through high school. You had known each other since you were babies though, your parents being close friends. The two of you attended every school dance together, all his soccer games, and even all the events and family vacations. You were always together. You'd never be able to listen to those songs anymore. To say those stupid inside jokes anymore. You would have to hand over every clothing item you had gathered from his closet over the years including his jerseys and the cheesy hoodies with his number and last name on the back. All of the drawings he did of and for you, including the huge sketchbook he dedicated to you and only you. The promise ring and all the other small jewelry he'd gifted.

It was no longer yours.

Jean was your first love. Jean was your first everything. He wasn't just a silly high school relationship to you. He was simply so much more and a part of your life you'll always hold so dear to you. You couldn't believe you were losing all of this...

But this was the beginning of your very long lives. You had both graduated a couple months ago and had only one month before you left for college. You guys wanted it to work. You wanted to stay together and just do the long distance, but you'd already been fighting more than usual and you both knew what had to be done.

He was going to an art school in Florida and you'd be going to a college in San Diego. It was simply too far apart.

You talked about it. You talked for so many hours about making it work and taking flights to see one another but with the little arguments and the tension that had been growing between you, you knew what the answer was and you both hated it.

"Maybe I can just transfer to-" you cut Jean off. "Jean, this school has been your dream. I want you to follow that. We have our whole lives ahead of us and your future is important." You were sick to your stomach. Part of you wanted him to give up his dream. Part of you wanted to waiver your own dream just to be with him. You knew you couldn't let either of you do that though.

"You're gonna do amazing things in life." He reached over, grabbing ahold of your hand, using his thumb to rub gently. "And maybe one day we will meet again." He gave you a soft smile, a tear falling down his cheek.

"So are you." You squeezed his hand, allowing your own eyes to release tears, knowing there was no point in hiding it. "And if we don't, I hope you find someone amazing to be with that can give you the love you'll always deserve." Those words felt like a knife penetrating your heart because you wanted it to be you. You just knew it couldn't.