Il capolavoro

It was ironic really, almost like he went back to where it began.

Will. Now going by his full name, William. Had stood in front of the tall building. His eyes closed  glasses tucked into the collar of his grey sweater. The air was cold and sharp, soon he took a step in, looking around the area for a specific person. It wasn’t long before he caught sight of another male walking towards him, a confident strut in each step. Clearly, this was the person he was waiting for. Shame he could barely remember his name.

“You must be William, I’m John Davis. It’s a pleasure to finally be meeting you.” The male states, his hand outstretched to shake Will’s. He was hesitant at first to return the gesture, considering his past endeavours with people, however he still reciprocated the handshake, forcing a polite smile onto his face.

“I’m hoping that means you’ve heard good things then.” He joked in response, chuckling lightly as the handshake finally ended. Do handshakes usually last that long? The thought was quickly dismissed as John turned around to walk, gesturing for Will to follow him and he did. He took his time to note the different areas of the building, offices, filing rooms, the average necessities investigators needed.

“That’s something you’ll have to find out for yourself.” John remarked, and after walking an abnormally long corridor, he opened a door; revealing a rather bland and cliche office. Similar to the ones you’d see in any crime-based movie. “This’ll be your office for the time being. The case file is on your desk. I suggest you catch yourself up quickly, we’ll be heading to the crime scene in the next twenty minutes.” John headed out of the room, closing the door behind him, assumingly going to gather whatever resources and people he needed before heading out. 

Will paced around the small room, inspecting the empty dust covered shelves before sitting down at the desk and picking up the file. He skimmed over it, inspecting the photos taken of the crime. The scene was brutal, the victim's body mutilated almost beyond recognition. He sighs, looking over the paperwork. The victim was a 34 year old man named Paul Tucker. That's all Will could read before John knocked on the door and opened it once again, "you ready to go?" He said. Will looked up at him with a sigh. He stood up and nodded, "let's just get this over with.” Will muttered under his breath.

                                                                      ***

Soon the car pulled up to the large modern-looking building, contrasted with the rustic appearance of the woods behind it. The car parked as Will took in one last deep breath before getting out. He took the glasses previously stuffed away and put them on once again, glancing around while he walked up to the building, dodging a few barricades and police cars while slipping loose fitting plastic gloves onto his hands.

He stood at the entrance of the building, slowly opening the door and peaking inside. The room was huge with high ceilings and curving walls but all of that was ignored when he saw what was in the middle of the main hall. The body was placed on a pedestal; it was contorted and folded to look like an old sculpture and the head was placed in the hands which were sewn into the body by a loose red thread.

Will’s gaze examined every detail, from the way the bones were broken and moulded into place to smaller details, such as how the lack of blood betrayed the scene that was sat before him. “May I have a moment alone, please?” He called firmly to the other police officers and investigators in the room who looked at each other and then towards John who had followed Will into the building. John gave a nod of approval, gesturing to the others.

“Let’s step outside and give him some space, everyone. Call us once you’re done.” John instructed Will. It didn’t take long for the room to become empty and quiet; Will was now standing alone with the victim’s corpse. He closed his eyes, inhaling and exhaling before opening again. Like usual, the scene deconstructed itself; the setting of the room was replaced by the forest behind the building with the victim, alive and well, standing in front of Will with his back turned towards him. “I walk up behind the victim, grabbing him from behind and catching him off guard-” Will grabs the other male, beginning to choke him. “I then begin to strangle him before he has the chance to react, rendering him unconscious before I start to create my masterpiece.” He continues, the victim's body falling to the ground. “I then place a foot onto his back and grab his arms, pulling until a crack is heard. I’ve broken his back. The victim is still alive. Once their back is broken, I take out my blade and begin to remove the head. The process is long but it must be done, otherwise my work of art isn’t completed. After the head is removed, I carefully begin to sculpt my masterpiece; twisting and moving each part as if it’s clay, making sure every detail is perfect. When every piece has finally found its place, I move it to the museum…” The trees and forest fall away, and Will is left with the scene that he was before. The display of Paul Tucker within the large room of an art museum. “I take a few moments to admire my work… amazed by the hidden beauty that people have. This is my design.” Will finishes, swallowing harshly once it was over. He kept his gaze away from the body, now shouting into the corridor from where he stood. “You can come back in now!”