one; just another tuesday

'Girls just wanna have fun' by Cyndi Lauper played on its loudest volume through the mp3 player of Victoria Yun. She bobbed her head side to side, her ears pushed back against her head as the headphones' cushions scratched at her skin. The woman hummed the song to herself while she walked through the doors of Princeton-Plainsboro teaching hospital.

"Good morning, Jess." She greeted the nurse at the front station with a smile, her voice slightly louder than needed because of her music.

The nurse chuckled at her loudness and held out a file while greeting her back, "Morning, ms.Yun."

Victoria, who had not heard her but had gotten very good at reading lips, took the file as she began walking away. Over her shoulder she shouted, "Please, just Victoria!"

The woman continued on towards the stairs, humming along to her music as it changed to 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' by Marvin Gaye. With practiced caution, she started climbing the staircase with her large and thick brightly pink heels.

Once she reached the fourth floor, she made her way through the hallways towards the familiar office. What the woman wasn't aware of, because of the loud music of her headphones, was that the Dean of Medicine —Lisa Cuddy— had been trying to get her attention.

So, when a panting Dr.Cuddy appeared in Victoria's line of vision, she frowned. "Cuddy, you okay?"

The doctor moved her lips but Victoria couldn't hear her. "Huh?"

Annoyed, Cuddy reached over and softly yanked Victoria's headphones down to rest around her neck. "I've been trying to get your attention all the way up the stairs."

"Oh," chuckled Victoria. "Sorry."

Cuddy rolled her eyes, and sighed while Victoria smiled brightly and asked, "Did you need me for something?"

"Yes," Cuddy said breathily, pushing out a final pant before straightening and clasping her hands out in front of her. "I need you to talk to House."

"About what?"

"Well preferably his attitude in a whole, but let's start small. He needs to start clinic hours."

Victoria bursted out laughing, the stack of files in her hands clutched to her chest. While laughing she started walking towards her office again (which was actually just a desk in the Diagnostic lounge, just besides the connecting door to House' office) and Cuddy walked with.

"Please, Vickie, you're the only one he listens to."

The woman snorted, "On small things, yeah. But I'm not a miracle worker."

Cuddy sighed and put her hands on her hips as the two came to a stop in front of the glass door to the empty Diagnostic lounge. "Get him to wear the coat then."

Victoria bursted out in giggles this time, "Oh, so not a miracle worker but you think I'm God."

She let out a final laugh, then opened the door to the lounge and walked over to her desk. The glass surface —why was everything made of glass?— had once been bland and empty, only housing a thick computer and a cubby for some files.

But when Vickie started working there, the desk got full and turned into a rainbow of colours. On the outward edge of the glass surface sat all kinds of small trinkets —tiny fluffy stuffed animals, fidget spinners in all sorts of colours, two Rubiks Cubes, a rainbow fidget worm, tangle cord and more— while the wall besides her that separates the lounge from House' office had been plastered with drawings made by patients' kids, cat cards and thank-you cards that doctors Cameron, Chase, Foreman and House had received.