I

It was an average and uneventful day in Vancouver, but for the Tamboli’s, it had been one of the busiest days of their life. The family of four was focused on packing for their vacation to Maruni, the small island situated in the Indian Ocean, in which all four of them were born. Riya, being the youngest, has spent the least time there allowing her to be the most accustomed to Canadian life. 

“Are we ready to go now?!” She cried out as she finished stuffing her last suitcase.

“Yup! Come down now, we’re leaving!” Her older sister Reena replied.

As those last words were uttered, the whole family got their bags ready and left.
The ride to the airport was a significant one for Riya. She kept on thinking of how much she'll miss her friends, school, and life in Vancouver. Each second she stared out the window, she reminisced fond memories. Her heart felt heavy knowing that she would be saying goodbye to the city that raised her for a couple of months. Riya, although born in Maruni, moved to Vancouver with her family at the age of five, so she had a deeper connection to Canadian culture and experiences. However, a part of her was excited to leave, knowing she’ll be able to experience the lush rainforests, fragrant hibiscus and champak flowers, the sounds of coconuts falling from trees, and the sound of pouring rain everyday again. Each minute the car got closer to the airport, the more anticipated she got. 

Riyas' heart jumped when she boarded the plane. Being sat in the window seat meant she could take in all the breathtaking views. After several hours, they finally made it. 

As they landed and arrived at the Maruni airport, they were greeted by their relatives. 
She took in the sights of her home country while greetings were being thrown around. She witnessed the abundance of lofty palm trees, deep blue water glistening, and the sun beaming warmth onto her face. The families chatted for a moment and then left for their hotel.