II

While many of the hotels in Maruni were of the overwater bungalow variety, Riya's parents opted for them to reside in a hotel in the city so they would be closer to their relatives.

When they arrived, Riya was astounded. The hotel was gorgeous. Palm trees surrounded the dazzling white exterior. A small garden with virid grass and vibrant flowers sat in front of the hotel, like an introduction to the beauty of the building. Anticipation surged through Riya’s body. She couldn't wait to experience the lavish inn.

Riya and Reena and their parents went into their respective rooms. The rooms were far beyond anything Riya had previously expected. The whole room was decorated with meticulous attention to detail in mind. A broad window on the side of the room showcased the busy streets. The flowers, vases, and paintings all coordinated pleasantly with each other. When she looked over to the beds, she saw soft, oversized pillows laid on smooth white sheets and blankets. Riya couldn't wait to leap onto the heavenly bed.

As they were getting ready for bed, Reena sparked a conversation with Riya. 

"Riya, I’m glad we’re finally here. That flight was a total pain. I’m glad I can actually freely walk around now!" Reena exclaimed as she wiped the makeup off of her face. 

"Same here, Didi. I can’t wait to walk along the beach and smell the fresh rain in the mornings." Riya replied. 

"I love the rain too, but I’m definitely not going to be running around outside like you do!" Reena laughed.

Riya looked down and sighed.  "Didi, do you think I'll make some friends here? I feel lonely without my friends from Vancouver." 

"Well, we'll just have to wait and see, don't we?" Reena answered. 

"Yeah, you're right." 

They talked for a while longer, and as their fatigue heightened, they soon headed to sleep. Riya slammed herself on her bed, feeling her body sink into comfort. She soon drifted off into a deep slumber. 

The next day, Riya woke up with a strong sense of enthusiasm. After settling in and resting the night before, she was ready to experience Maruni again.

After eating breakfast with her family, she ran downstairs to catch a breath of fresh air.

The street outside the hotel was packed with locals. Women with their flowing saris and men with their loose kurtas lined the bustling roads. Narrow shops lined the roads, brightly coloured but begrimed. A few stray animals were scattered along the way. The bright ocean encompassed the left side of the town, complementing the warm tones of the dirt roads. When Riya looked at the passersby, she caught a glimpse of someone out of the ordinary.

A boy was running across the street, but not just any boy. This particular boy looked out of place with the other locals. With his unzipped hoodie and baggy jeans—a stark contrast to the traditional Marunian attire—he looked more like a tourist than a local. Riya stared in confusion. 

Unexpectedly, he looks over in Riya’s direction for a second. Riya’s face immediately flushed. The boy was stunning. He looked about the same age as Riya, with warm ochre skin and fluffy brunet hair. As he looked away and kept running, she ran off upstairs. 

Why was he running? Is he from here? I wonder what’s going on... She thought to herself as she made her way to the hotel room.

Despite her genuine concerns, she felt her heart beat at the thought of him. A newfound infatuation developed within her.

She knew it. 

She knew she had a crush on him.