Chapter 3: A Dozen & One Kisses

Chapter 3

A Dozen & One Kisses

Aleksi had lived his life by the motto that women were to be worshiped, not made sense of, much like religion. The dark haired, dark eyed, beauty was the totality of that truth.

Unaware of the devious thoughts that stirred in him, she sucked the lemon juice from her fingers. The end of their days were numbered and he had no one to rage against, no final battle to fight. His initial burning hate for the grieving pain of losing his friends had lessened with the sounds of her pleas for help, focused on providing her with what little protection he could. A calm acceptance quickly settled in. With few hours left, blaming and raging would serve no end.

Thus, why not sit and enjoy his last few hours of health with an entertaining, oddity that the little maid possessed.

"Have you been kissed before, Mimi?"

She chewed her bottom lip, her eyes flicking side to side searching for an answer. The bright rose color that brightened her creamy skin granted him his answer. "Of course. Plenty of times. Dozens really. Who keeps count of such things?" She tossed her hands in the air. "I certainly don't."

"Indeed, dozens? Perhaps you wish to demonstrate your well-honed skill. Seeing how I am about to die, I feel regret in not indulging in such pleasure more, especially basking in the attention from a young beauty such as yourself."

She swallowed hard and her finger flew into her mouth as she tore at her fingernail.

His intent was to tease and dare a kiss out of her, not upset her. The jest no longer suited him. If it were his last hours on this earth, then they were also hers and he wouldn't have her scared of him. From her speech and her manner, it was clear that she was highborn, yet she was not the common flirtatious beauty that lined the halls of the king's court, well practiced for their turn to charm and be charmed by knights passing through.

He tugged her hand out of her mouth, "I beg your pardon, my lady-"

White linen and lace blurred his vision as she flung her little arms around his neck and crashed her face to his. Their noses mashed together. He inhaled her citrus, sunshine scent and brushed his hand into her hair, tugging her head back, reducing her bruising force. He opened his mouth and captured her bottom lip and bit. She needed to take a breath before she turned blue. His nip worked and she inhaled sharply with a small gasp.

He released his hold and pulled back. "A dozen and one if my calculation is correct."

"Or maybe just one." Her eyes were wide and yearning. She was well into her womanhood, why she was not some mans wife added to her mystery.

"I will always remember you as the maid that tasted of lemons." He stroked her petal soft cheek with the back of his hand and she closed her eyes to his touch.

"My gratitude for your kind indulgence, my lady."

"And I will remember you as the Northman that bit my lip." She smiled, displaying all of her perfect, shiny white teeth, which contrasted sharply with her reddened lips.