Chapter 11-Day 13

***Only a few chapters left. Do you guys think I can break a 1000 reads and a 100 votes? Only your support will tell.***

Chapter 11

On the thirtieth day of their quarantine off the coast of Norrland, Sweden, a different set of village elders rowed out to speak with her husband. These ones had distinctly stinkier faces and their body language said they were not favorable to her father-in-law, Mister Ekstrom's proposal that Aleksi and Mimi be allowed off the ship, to wait out the remainder of their confinement on a small island a few miles up the fjord from Tronscar. As each day passed, with no sign of plague, other than the continuous fever of being a newly wed woman, Mimi's eminent death seemed to be slipping a little further away. Aleksi was the ideal form of health and virility...which he displayed by exercising his husbandly rights on her several times a day, of which she had no complaint. If bedding was the sole responsibility of being a wife, Mimi could crown herself the Queen of Wives.

"We'll need to inspect the females body for signs of spots or festering sores," the man in a grey coat with a long shaggy beard said to her husband. Instinctively, she shied backwards, away from being seen over the railing.

"You can inspect my wife's body over my dead one." Aleski crossed his arms, flexing his powerful arms in a dare come try stance. She sighed with relief, of course her ardent pleasure delivering man would never stand aside and have her seen by other...Mon Dieu she loved him all the more.

The four heads in the small boat bent towards one another. The Jarl of Tronscar and her father-in-law sat appearing unhappy in the rowboat next to the village leaders.

"That will not do," the pudgy one said. "You're her husband, of course you wont tell us if she's got open signs of the plague."

"Are you men suggesting that my commander who has risked his life for our people more times then any man before him, would willingly place his own peoples health at risk?" Jarl Magnus roared, clearly losing patience with the village men.

"No, my Jarl, but we cannot be too careful. The report from Riga could have been false, a trap to have us let our guard down. Commander Aleksi may be mistaken and has an obvious advantage to keep his wife--"

The Jarl interrupted. "I have every reason to believe the report from Riga that the ships water supply was poisoned. I expect further confirmation of this report to return by the end of the month. Until such time, Commander Ekstrom and his wife will be my guests at my cottage on Lika Island." He then turned his attention up to speak to her husband. "I will ask you to stay and enjoy the island for another fortnight to appease all unreasonable fear and dispel all doubt, completing your fortieth day of quarantine. At that time, I would like to make a gift of the island and home to you and your wife, for your loyal years of service to our realm." The Jarl's words and specific detail of when the island would become Aleksi's was yet another indication of the Jarl's shrewdness. As the Jarl's property, the elders would have no say over what he did on or with his property. After the forty days of quarantine, with no sign of plague upon him, her husband, as owner of the island would have authority and right to protect his property.

"Gratitude, my Jarl," Aleksi said loudly, his word echoing over the water.

The villagers did not look so keen on the idea, nor pleased for the gift given to Aleksi, but they did not risk speaking in opposition to their revered ruler.

"My wife has sent garments for your lady, Aleksi. Lady Lida is still planning on hosting you both at Tronscar in celebration of your union and good health in less than one months time."

"Gratitude, Jarl Magnus, and may you--" Mimi broke off speaking over the rail at the Jarl and turned to her husband. "How do you say relay a message of thanks to Lady Lida on my behalf."