Chapter IX: Run In With Smoker

The night had been one of best he had as of late. It was starting to become a recurring theme. After each and every encounter with trouble, once they were free he would feel more relieved and a tad more confident. Thus the sunrise, a brilliant array of warm colors, made his chest swell with excitement. Maybe he was just starting to get used to this life.

"Land ho!" Ruby yelled. The island was coming up in the distance. It looked to be fairly smaller, even more than the one situated before Reverse Mountain. Yet even from where they were he could see it sparkling in the distance like a star on the waves. It was likely far more full of buildings and docked ships than the other.

They pulled around to the back, finding a semi-secluded beach. Both Ren and Blake had helpfully pointed out that flying a jolly roger was not a good look for a ship coming to port. For that reason, Ruby, Cardin, and Neo stayed behind while the others went onto land. As they left, Ruby could be seen climbing onto the top of The Bucket and using her scope to watch the area. Cardin seemed to be keeping as much space between himself and Neo as possible while he tried to sleep.

"So, what's the plan?" Jaune asked as the sandy beach faded to grassy land. He could already see the inhabitants, so he wanted to talk while they were still too far to hear. Ren hummed, tapping his chin in thought. That surprised Jaune a bit since he expected him to have a plan, but maybe he was just mentally organizing his notes.

Either way, Blake took the opportunity to speak her part. "Now that we're not in a rush, we should get done everything we need land or a town for. The maps the marines gave and the books from Beacon's library are nice, but I would like some paper and pens, charts, and other more extensive books on navigation. The seas here aren't like the waters elsewhere."

When Blake finished, Ren began, "Now that we have enough food, we need proper ways to preserve and cook it. I'll be searching for that, though I might not find anything to keep our perishables cold."

That made sense. Walking around a market, it would be easier to find knives, pots, pans, and even a propane stove than it would be a refrigerator. Jaune shrugged. "I guess you'll figure it out."

"Your new weapon?" Ren pointedly reminded him. Jaune staggered in response, as if a child being caught red-handed.

"I was thinking," Jaune drawled, trying not to look too caring. "The sheath is the problem, right? Can't I buy a new sheath?"

"Getting one tailored may take time we don't have," Blake pointed out.

"Ruby could do it."

"You need something long range." Ren's argument cut him down. "You may learn to compensate with your devil fruit somehow, but the point stands that long range is currently your greatest weakness, Jaune. Now that we're in the real world, we can't just say you'll pick something up eventually either. I think it's vital you have something to face that weakness." He paused and thought for a moment. "I guess you could always ask Ruby to upgrade Crocea Mors."

Jaune shivered. "Nevermind, I guess I'll just go get a weapon." They split ways and headed out into the town. He checked his lien, only to discover he really should have thought of that beforehand. Actually, how did the others plan on buying anything? He shook his head. They likely had more than him. He would pick something out and get them to buy it for him and then he would pay them back of course — but if they were going to force him to buy a weapon, then they could deal with it.

He was surprised to find a sword shop. Quite simply, a place to buy swords. It was honestly something of a culture shock to him. Most weapon stores in Vale and the rest of Remnant were geared toward anything under the sun when it came to parts, though not many places sold full products. It was mostly parts, ammo, and dust that could be found, though not always at the same place. Weapons were so diverse, you couldn't afford to invest in even just a type. It was a simple enough building with the image of two crossed swords over the sign.