XXXXVIII. last kiss

Umaid Bhavan,
Jodhpur

"You look absolutely ethereal.", Anupamaa heard her mother, as she finally completed her look with the heavy gold jhumka.

Drawing in a deep breath, she found herself adoring the beauty that she saw on the mirror.
Over the years, she couldn't deny, she had aged. She could see the slight lines of age, yet today she felt like the same nineteen year old who had married this same man, twenty five years ago.

Had they remained married, this would have been their silver jubilee.

She wore the very same saree with slight modifications. A green and red, it was. It still complemented her better than any other saree could ever.

A message entered her phone.

"I'm leaving for now.. you sit here only, okay?", Her Maa said.
Anupamaa nodded as she picked her phone up.

Vanraj stood before the mirror. He could feel the tip of his fingers go cold.
As ironic as it was, he was used to make his employees nervous around him, and here he was looking scared to death.

"Papa, you know you are getting married. You've not been given the death sentence.", Pakhi said, enjoying watching her nervous Papa.
"The day you get married, you'll realise.", Vanraj replied, fidgeting with his new engagement ring.

Platinum, it was.

He wore his same old sherwani. An off white sherwani with red zari collars. Somehow no other sherwani made him look as good as this.

Anupamaa's mother had insisted of keeping the wedding grand, and here they were, in Jodhpur.
Having Anupamaa's dream destination wedding.

He had just sent a message, and was still anticipating the reply.

And then his phone buzzed.

He picked his phone up.

I am coming.

The reply was.

Drawing in a deep satisfied breath, he turned to leave.

Pakhi looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"So Romeo's going to meet his Juliet?", She asked.
Vanraj gulped nervously.
She had grown into such a first class spy.
"Pakhi-"

"Two thousand rupees to keep my mouth shut.", Pakhi said casually.
Vanraj raised a brow.
"I can clearly see you take over my post.", He sighed as he pulled out a pink note from his trouser's pocket.

"Oh yes. Like father, like daughter.", She said grinning, as she took the note.
"Now keep your mouth shut, please.", He said.
"You're sorted on that, Papa.", His daughter replied as she pulled him into a tight hug.

They grow up so fast.

"Okay, now go.. Mummy's waiting.", Pakhi said releasing him as she stepped out of the room.
He drew in a deep breath.
There was still two hours to their wedding.

anupamaa :

I sat at one of the seats around the small white table.
This was behind the palace like hotel.