→ ch 1 : homecoming

anupamaa :

I finally walked out of the taxi.
In Ahmedabad, before Shah Sadan
I had just returned from my dance troupe trip, only to find my bechara boyfriend looking sleep deprived.

I didn't blame him, kids could be pretty difficult to handle.

Nonetheless he had managed pretty well.
That was when I of all people got a call from his Baa.
Yes. My mother had somehow handed my number to her.

And after a billion requests I had agreed to bring her son back home.

"Uff! Papa, this is so hot!", Pakhi said as her Papa finally shut the door behind her.
"Yes Snow Princess, but we don't have a choice.", Vanraj replied sighing.

He wasn't exactly happy, and I knew why.

"Snow Princess?! Papa, you pamper Miss No Princess a little too much.", Samar said in jealousy.
"Huh! Jalkukda Shah!", Pakhi snapped at him.
"Pakhi, don't talk to him that way.", I said trying to be the good mom.
Toshu was too engrossed in playing some random game on his father's mobile.

I stood before the Shah Sadan nervously.

I glanced at his name, still present on the boundary wall.
His mother had put it up immediately after he got his first job. It was bewildering, the way she always uplifted her son, more than necessary sometimes.

"Anupamaa!", This was Moti Baa.
She looked pleasantly surprised, I could see the immediate moisture in her eyes.
I immediately rushed down to her, feeling like the same nineteen year old girl who had found a best friend in the lonely Shah House.

I immediately bent, took her blessings and hugged her tightly.
Bapuji, Dolly, Baa everyone came out.
Next in line was Bapuji, of course.
Baa looked at me with something I had never expected.
She had gratitude.

Her son and grandchildren still stood outside, they hadn't stepped in, but she looked like she would break into tears of happiness any moment.

Somewhere, deep down I understood that sentiment.
Despite everything, she loved her son the most. And the same son had chosen to lock himself up, far away, alone in pain - blaming her.

I turned to look at him.
He glanced at me helplessly.

Anu I can't.. please.

This is your family. Your home.

My home is back in America. With you.

It was our eye talk.
I drew in a deep breath.

"Toshu.. Samar?", Bapuji called out.
Samar had been standing awkwardly all this while, and Toshu finally looked up.

"I thought no one would call me only!", Samar said pouting as he ran down to his grandad.
I knew he had missed him the most.
Toshu, like his father, didn't know what to do.
Meanwhile Pakhi narrowed her eyes because her Winter was definitely getting more attention.

"I think no one loves me only..", she said, sounding all tragic.
"No beta-"
"Papa.. no one is noticing the pretty cute and oh so wonderful Pakhi of yours..", she said with fake sniffing.

"Aww..", Vanraj said as he finally lifted her back in his arms.

I remembered being this dramatic in childhood.
God, my mother used to be so annoyed, but I absolutely loved pulling these tricks with my father.

"Pakhi.. she is..?", Moti Baa looked at me, slightly puzzled.
"She is your great grand daughter.", Vanraj said finally, forcing an awkward smile.

"You heard Winter? I am great.", Pakhi said before hugging her father.
Her father finally broke into his charming smile.
First, after our flight had landed.

Toshu also followed his father in.

After a brief talk, we finally walked back into our old bedroom.
It was the same.
His photographs and trophies on the side wall, our wedding photograph on the opposite. The dressing table, everything.

He pulled the suitcases in.
The kids were outside, breaking the ice with their new found family members.

No one had questioned our presence together.
And I knew, no one would.

"Anu.. I really think we have to install an AC. They are used to the cold, thet won't be able to sleep.", He said opening the suitcase.

"You did not talk much with your family.", I said, getting straight to the point.
He glanced at me and drew in a deep breath.

"I can't. You know how it is.", He said, looked away immediately.
I walked down to him, and held his free hand.
"Anu.. nothing can be normal.. if I start talking, again Baa will give me some stupid advice.. again I will-"

I wrapped my arms around him, and pulled him into a comforting hug.

"You trust your love for me?", I asked softly.
He sighed as I felt his arms wrap around my body.
"Anu.. I don't want to risk it this time. We are here for a little while anyways-"

"At least tell her how much you love me.. she's your mother. This is our family. I know you are in pain, deep down. You loved her the most. How is this fair to you?", I said, as I looked up at him.

He was constantly blinking off his tears.

"Even after everything, you want me to reconcile. I wasn't the only one who plotted to destroy your dream.."

"I know only forgiveness, and you must know it too. Forgive yourself and forgive your mother.", I said simply.

He looked down at me with an amused smile.

"When should I get the marble?"

"For?"

"Why? Make a temple for Devi Anupamaa.", He said grinning.

"Haha.. very funny.", I said burying my face in his chest, inhaling my favourite fragrance.

"You can make a nice necklace with all your gyaan ke motis and we will sell them at one lakh per piece-"

"You want to get pinched, Mister Shah?", I asked as I looked up at him with narrowed eyes.

"How about changing the deal to kiss?", He asked with a wink.
I stood on my tip toes, as he edged closer.

"MUMMY LOOK AT SAMAR-"

We heard as we looked at each other and sighed.

How could it be homecoming without our romance getting interuppted?

•••

Because I just felt like writing..
I might publish such random one shots now and then 🥹💝

Drop in your views!