ONE

_________________

_________________

Nayab's eyebrows were furrowed as she made notes about the process to follow during the cesarean delivery process. Her delicate fingers wrapped around the Apple Pencil as she scribbled hurriedly on her iPad.

"Why is he speaking so fast? I can hardly understand anything." Nayab heard Jyoti murmur beside her, but she gave no reply. Just kept writing.

"I don't think I will be able to use my fingers for a decade now." Jyoti cried out loud as soon as the professor stepped out of the class after a torturous hour and half long lecture.

Nayab rolled her eyes at her friend's drama and stood up. "I am starving. Let's go have lunch."

"Yes." A male voice screamed, making both the girls' heads turn. It was Ishaan. The third and last member of their small group.

Nayab, Jyoti and Ishaan had hit it off on the first day of their MBBS and had struck together since then. Theirs was a quite cliche group with Nayab being the nerd, Jyoti being the drama queen and Ishaan being the balancing factor for them.

"Mmmm," Ishaan moaned as soon as he took the first bite of his rajma chawal, "whoever said that the canteen food is trash definitely hasn't tasted our college's food. This rajma is to die for."

Jyoti smiled at him eating so fondly, but it turned into an irritated expression when she saw Nayab scribbling on her iPad while her plate of food was turning cold.

"I thought you were starving." Jyoti commented while snatching Nayab's Apple Pencil.

"Jyo," Nayab whined and tried to grab the pencil back. "I am just making a study plan. We have the semester exams coming up in three months."

"We don't need a study plan for the exam that is three fucking months away." Jyoti exasperated.

"Right, we have a lot of time." Ishaan spoke and licked the rajma gravy off his finger at the same time.

"No, we don't. The syllabus is so vast. We need to finish learning all our topics in a maximum of 55 days, so that we can revise each one of them at least two times for the theory paper. And then there are practicals and viva. We would need at least 10 days for that." Nayab countered them with logic.

Ishaan nodded thoughtfully. "She is also right."

Jyoti glared at him before turning to Nayab. "How can you plan everything so intricately? Don't you ever feel like going with the flow?"

Nayab sighed. "I just like things under control. How can you just go with the flow?"

"Like this," Ishaan swayed both his hands like wings and acted as if he was flying in the air.

Both the girls simultaneously cracked up.

After finishing lunch, they had an hour to kill before their next lecture started. So they spent that time in the library. Ishaan and Jyoti copied Nayab's assignment, while Nayab reviewed her notes from the last lecture to edit the mistakes made in hurry.

Their last lecture ended at 4 in the evening, which was earlier than most days. They went to the canteen again to have their evening tea before saying goodbye for the day.

Nayab took the famous Delhi metro to get home. She came from an affluent family, with both her parents and elder brother being doctors. In fact, his brother's wife was a doctor as well.

"You're home early." Gulshan, her mother, said when Nayab walked inside the home.

Nayab smiled at her. "So are you!"

"Not a lot of pregnant women got into labor today, so I thought of coming home soon and making biryani." Gulshan was a gynecologist.

Nayab's eyes lit up. "Yes, I was craving it for the past few days. I will freshen up quickly and help you."

She changed into a pair of leggings and her father's t-shirt before joining her mother in the kitchen.

While cooking, they talked about each other's day. Gulshan told her about her patients and Nayab listened inquisitively. By the time the biryani was done, Nayab's father, Haider, and her brother, Hamza, were home.

"Does bhabhi have night duty today?" Nayab asked Hamza while setting the table.

"She had an important surgery today, so she'll be late." He replied. The four of them sat down to eat then.

"Hamza, I have kept a plate for Liya in the microwave. Heat it for when she's back." Gulshan informed her son before retiring for the night with her husband.

"Goodnight, bhai." Nayab kept the leftovers in the fridge.

"Night," Hamza replied while washing the dirty dishes.

Inside her room, Nayab had resumed working on the study plan that Jyoti had very rudely stopped her from doing in the college. She was halfway through it when her phone rang. It was a video call from her childhood best friend, Simran Mehta.

Nayab received the call and the first thing she saw was Simran's left hand, and a huge, sparkling rock sitting on the ring finger.

"No way," Nayab gasped.

The camera moved to Simran's grinning face. "I can't believe it as well. I just thought it was a normal date, but he ended up proposing. Oh, I'm so glad I got my nails done just yesterday."

"God, I am so happy for you. And the ring is beautiful." Nayab had stood up by now in excitement.

Simran hung up soon after that as she had to call a ton of family members and cousins to inform them of the happy news.

Nayab still remembered the day, two and half years ago, when Simran had first told her about Angad Sethi. Nayab was in her first year of MBBS, while Simran had just started with her degree in Commerce. Angad was Simran's senior. Sparks flew between them the first time they laid eyes on each other and within a month, they were dating. Their relationship was so right that everyone who met them knew they would end up together.

And here they were, engaged.

And then it hit Nayab. Her best friend was going to get married. Married! How did they grow up so soon? It felt like just yesterday two five year olds had met on the first day of school. With school bags on their shoulders, water bottle around their necks and two pigtails on each of their heads, they shook hands and introduced themselves.

She felt a sense of nostalgia for the days of their youth, when they had dreamed of fairy tale weddings and happily-ever-afters. She felt a twinge of sadness, knowing that their lives would never be the same again, that they would soon get busy with the responsibilities of adulthood.

But above all, she felt an overwhelming sense of joy and excitement. It was the kind of happiness that bubbled up from deep within, the kind that left her smiling uncontrollably, her heart brimming with love and pride for her dear friend.

And as she smiled to herself, she knew that this was the moment she had been waiting for - the moment when her best friend's dream would come true, the moment when she would start a new chapter of her life. It was a moment to be cherished, to be celebrated, to be remembered forever, and Nayab couldn't wait to be part of it all.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

There is a character introduction for our female protagonist.

I am as introvert as she is. If only I would have taken my studies as seriously as she does!

Vote this up and comment down below. Please.