five.

Harper sat on the bed, absentmindedly flipping through a magazine that had been sitting on the nightstand. She caught a few sentences here and there but not much caught her interest. The pictures and the pretty words seemed fitting for someone with a stable, perfect life. Unlike Harper.

Sighing, Harper glanced at Sam. She wasn't surprised to find her in front of the closet with the same look of defeat on her face as before. She shook her head at her indecisiveness though a smile tugged at the corner of her lips.

"You know, the mall's going to close before you find something to wear," Harper said.

Sam shot her a glare in the mirror. "Funny."

Rolling her eyes, she closed the magazine and fixed her with a look. "I'm serious. Just pick something so we can go. You know, maybe before Demetri and Robby send out a search party. Or leave without us."

Sam tilted her head, letting out a frustrated sigh as she moved the shirts back and forth. "I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying," she mumbled as she brought a shirt to her body and looked into the mirror. Wrinkling her nose, she returned it to the closet and continued with her search.

"So, what's going on with you two anyway?" Harper asked. "You and Robby, I mean."

Sam paused and looked over her shoulder, her cheeks already flushed with a pink tint. But she shook her head before she said, "Nothing. We're just friends."

"Yeah, okay," Harper snorted with disbelief, shaking her head at the blatant lie. "You like him. Come in, just admit it."

Sam bit her lip, her search paused as she turned to face her. A slow smile spread across her face, and she nodded. "Yeah, okay. I like him." Her smile faded before she added, "But he just wants to be friends."

"Did he say that? Because I see the way he looks at you. It's obvious he likes you, too."

"He just doesn't want to ruin things," she said with a sad sigh.

"Like what? Your friendship?" Harper asked.

"No. I mean, I don't think so. But things with my dad. Robby's staying with us, and I guess it would make things a whole lot more complicated for him. For us."

Harper understood but frowned all the same, disappointed to hear that her friends were just that: friends. "You think your dad would really be that mad?"

Sam sighed. "Maybe? I don't know. But I know that he wouldn't be thrilled," She paused before shrugging. "But I get it. I don't want to ruin things for Robby. It just sucks, you know?"

A hush fell over the room as Sam returned to the closet, continuing the neverending search. The seconds ticked by in sync with the hangers moving from left to right. A perfect rhythm. While Harper wanted to push the topic further, she didn't. She wanted Sam and Robby to be happy, to be together, but it didn't sound like that would happen. At least, not right now. And not with her prying.

Harper watched as Sam's indecisiveness delayed their mall trip even further. With a sigh, she pushed herself off the bed and made her way toward the closet. Her eyes took in all the clothes that Sam owned, and she nudged her friend out of the way. Determined to find a shirt that Sam approved of as fast as possible. Feeling Sam's eyes on her, Harper went through a few shirts before taking one and presenting it to her.

Sam narrowed her eyes at the pink and blue striped shirt, a thoughtful look on her face. "Hmm... I don't know. Do you think it's maybe a bit -"

"Nope."

"But maybe it's not the right -"

"It's either this or I'm leaving without you," Harper joked, pushing the shirt into her arms.