10: Know thy enemy

5 September: Privet Drive

"I got a job. I got a job. I. Got. A. Job." Sirius sang as he waltzed into James' house.

James followed his friend's voice into the living room and asked, "And this time you are not going to quite?"

Remus chuckled. He was called here by Sirius so he could share this news with them.

"In my defence, the book store was too quiet and boring for me." Sirius said, taking a seat next to his werewolf friend.

As we know, Sirius was trying to find a job, and he got one at a wizarding bookstore after he guilt-tripped the sweet owner about how the wizarding society did him injustice, and now he is in need of employment. But, literally two days later, he quit because it was too 'quiet and boring' for 'The Great Sirius Black.'

"Not everyone is you, Remus."

"So, where are you working now?" James asked.

"Hogs Head Inn, and guess who the owner is?" Sirius asked, jumping in his seat in excitement.

"The shady part of Hogsmeade?"
"One where students are not allowed?"
"And is usually infested with dark wizards?"
"Are you sure this is a good idea?"
The two friends were not that excited to hear this news.

"Yes, yes, yes and yes." Sirius answered, nonchalantly. "I can easily eavesdrop on those dark wizards and find interesting news. I just have to clean tables, and I am getting paid. And I can meet Harry and Josette during Hogsmeade visits. This is too good to reject."

"Sirius, you are overqualified for this job. You can do more than clean tables. If you are really in need of a job, go to the ministry; after everything they put you through, the least they can do is provide you an employment." Remus tried to convince Sirius that this is not what he really wants.

"You always wanted to become an Auror... You can complete your training now." James added.

"The ministry where half of them are Death Eaters and half still believe I am guilty?" Sirius asked. "And you-" he looked at Remus "-what about the small jobs you do? You too are overqualified."

"It's different." Remus mumbled. "I am a werewolf."

"And I am an ex-convict... This is our life." Sirius said. 

James sensed that the excitement was long gone, so he changed the topic. "How did you come across Hogs Head Inn?"

"After meeting Josette, I went there for drinks... You know, as students, we weren't allowed so I was curious, but the owner was not looking for any help-"

"So, you guilt-tripped him as well?" James interrupted. 

"Oh! This guy can't be guilt-tripped. I just pointed out there's a lot of dust in the room and customers, and he is alone... so I offered to help, and he agreed."