Chapter 1

June 10, 1998

I wake up to a pounding headache and a queasy stomach. I groan and turn over, hoping to find some relief. But the pain just intensifies. I sit up and realize I'm covered in sweat. I take a deep breath and try to stand up. But as soon as I do, I feel dizzy and lightheaded. I stumble back to bed and pull the covers over me.

I've been feeling like this for the past week, and I thought it was just a stomach bug. But now, I'm not so sure. I've been so nauseous that I can hardly eat anything. And I've been feeling exhausted all the time. I've been cooped up in my bedroom, and I'm starting to go stir-crazy.

My parents have been checking in on me every day, and my friends, have been visiting me constantly. I know they're worried, but I don't want to worry them even more by telling them how bad I feel. I just keep telling them that I'm fine and that it's just a stomach bug.

But now, I'm starting to worry. What if it's something more than just a bug? What if I'm really sick? The more I go over my symptoms, the more I realize that it could be something serious. I start to panic and feel tears prick at the corners of my eyes.

I hear a knock on my bedroom door. "Sofia, are you okay?" It's my mom. I quickly wipe away my tears. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just feeling a little sick," I say.

My mom comes into my room and sits on the edge of my bed. "You don't look fine, honey. Maybe you should see a doctor," she says.

I shake my head. "No, it's just a stomach bug. I'll be fine in a few days," I say, trying to sound convincing.

My mom gives me a skeptical look but doesn't press the issue. "Well, if you need anything, just let me know," she says before leaving my room.

I lay back down, feeling utterly exhausted from the conversation. I shut my eyes and attempt to get some much-needed rest. However, my mind kept racing, trying to figure out what was causing my illness.

I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed, summoning my strength to take the next step and visit a doctor. I quickly sent an owl to Hermione, requesting if she would accompany me to the hospital the following day.

•••

June 11, 1998

As I sat in the Emergency room, my nerves were on edge. I fiddled with my hands, trying to distract myself from the fear that was creeping up inside me. Hermione, sat next to me, placing a gentle hand on my back, trying to reassure me that everything was going to be alright. But I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

Suddenly, I felt a wave of nausea hit me, and I knew I had to run to the restroom. I apologized to Hermione and bolted out of the room as fast as I could. I barely made it to the toilet before I emptied the contents of my stomach. I took a few long, deep breaths, trying to calm myself down as I washed my hands and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I cringed at the sight of myself - I looked super ill.

As I made my way back, I couldn't help but think that it wasn't a stomach bug that I was suffering from. I sat back down next to Hermione just in time for a lady to call my name. I was led to a small room where a nurse took my vitals and asked me a few questions about my symptoms.

After completing a full medical examination, I sat on the edge of the bed, my mind racing with a million different thoughts. And then, the doctor walked in and told me the news that would change my life forever.

I was pregnant.

Tears started streaming down my face as I tried to process this information. I felt Hermione's hand on my shoulder, offering me comfort. I turned to look at her and saw the concern etched on her face. She had been with me the whole time, and I was grateful for her presence.

The doctor continued speaking, explaining my options and the risks involved. I barely heard him. All I could think about was how my life was about to change. I was barely making ends meet, and now I was going to have a child to take care of.

As we left the hospital, I felt a sense of dread wash over me. How was I going to tell my family? How was I going to afford this? All of these questions swirled around in my head, and I felt like I was drowning in them.

But Hermione was there, every step of the way. She listened to me vent, she helped me come up with a plan, and she promised to be there for me no matter what.