The Pirate King's Woman

Author's note: After reviewing my notes, I realized that the story should be taking place on September 1st at this point. I will go back and adjust the timeline in the previous chapters, but I just wanted to give you a heads up, dear reader!

September 1st, Cape Hatteras.

Charles felt the gust of wind on his back and turned to look.

Horror filled his heart as he saw Octavia's shoulder-length hair flowing around her face as she gazed across the ocean to The Queen's Orient.

He turned sharply and stepped in front of Lafitte, but it was too late.

Lafitte shoved him aside.

Before Charles could stop him, Lafitte strode across the deck, grabbed Octavia by the arm, and spun her to face him.

Charles drew his pistol and leveled it at Lafitte's back.

***

Octavia stared up at Lafitte, heart pounding.

He grabbed her chin, his fingers and thumb pinching her cheeks hard enough that she knew they would bruise.

She glared up at him defiantly.

"A woman," he said, one brow raised with interest.

Octavia glanced over his shoulder. Her heart thundered in her throat.

Charles lifted his pistol and aimed it at the pirate king's back.

"Monsieur Lafitte," she said, forcing a flirtatious glint into her eye. "We meet at last."

She flicked her gaze at Charles, who furrowed his brow in confusion, the pistol wavering.

"Captain Atwell has been saving me for you personally," she continued, holding Charles' gaze.

Fury and confusion warred across Charles' face, and she silently begged him not to do anything rash. Lafitte's loyal men, who were currently all distracted digging the hull of the ship out from the sand, would kill them in an instant.

Octavia was too close to saving her family; she wouldn't back down now. Not even for Charles.

"Did he?" Lafitte asked, a threat weaving into the pleasant tone of his voice. "How loyal of him."

Octavia spared a look at Charles in time to see Bloody Benny grab his arm and force him to lower the gun.

She held her breath. Thankfully, Lafitte didn't seem to notice.

"It's bad luck to have a woman aboard," the pirate king continued, turning her face side to side.

She allowed his touch to remain, lowering her gaze demurely. "But this woman has the secret that will bring you unimaginable wealth," she whispered.

He narrowed his eyes, his fingers tightening on her cheeks. "How intriguing."

"Lafitte," Charles' deep voice cut the tension between them. He gripped his superior's arm, yanking it away from Octavia's face.

Octavia swallowed hard, relieved that the pressure on her cheeks was gone, but terrified that Charles was about to get himself killed.

"The crew are demoralized, sir," Charles said, lowering his voice. "Now is not the time to indulge."

Lafitte clenched his fist and removed himself from Charles' grip, jaw working as if considering.

Finally, he nodded.

"I will take her to my ship. It can wait until the crew digs The Ghostess out of the sandbar," he said, flicking his fingers towards Octavia.

"Please allow me to retrieve my things," Octavia said, stepping between the men and dipping her head. It surprised her how difficult it was to remember her feminine wiles after so many months of pretending to be a hardened man.