Heaven For Pirates

"What happened to your daughter is the greatest regret of my life," Charles said, gaze lowered as he finished telling Mr. Burr the tale of Mrs. Alston.

Mr. Burr say quietly in the wooden chair, his bloodied handkerchief gripped in a fist.

"And this pirate, Lafitte?" He growled. "You let him live?"

"I did my best to kill him," Charles sighed. "I stabbed him with my own dagger. But he must have made a deal with the devil. He should have died a hundred times over."

He could feel Mr. Burr's glare piercing into him, but he was too ashamed to lift his head.

"You chose to avenge my child and sacrifice your chance to be with the woman you love?"

Charles leaned his arms against the bars and looked out at the sunset. The colors were muted blues and grays, with a slash of red cutting through the middle.

"I have lived as a ghost these last two years," he said softly. "But in those few months I spent with Octavia, I feel as though I've lived an entire lifetime. She is safe. My sisters are safe and loved. And now I can deliver this to you," he unclipped the chain of Theodosia's necklace from around his neck and held the golden locket out through the bars.

With trembling fingers, Mr. Burr took the locket.

"I can die without fear or regret," Charles finished.

Mr. Burr opened the locket. His face crumpled with a wave of grief, and he pressed a gentle kiss to the miniature inside.

***

Octavia marched to the prison, but Lord Greyville cut her off, holding up a hand to stop her.

"You're too late," he said.

Octavia's throat tightened and she looked over his shoulder. A group of soldiers took their position around the prison.

"Mr. McWilliam," a voice said curtly from behind her.

"Captain Hillington," Lord Greyville replied, eyes darkening with anger.

Octavia stiffened. She lifted her chin and refused to look at her former fiance as he stalked past them.

Her indifference seemed to anger him, and he quickened his pace and barked orders to his men.

"Did you know about the bargain?" She asked Lord Greyville through gritted teeth.

He hesitated, but nodded. "I have remained on the island to plead for your safety... and the release of Charles."

"You failed in both," she said, pushing by him.

"What are you intentions?" He asked, limping to catch up.

"I will die beside him."

"Perhaps there is another option," William said, slipping a heavy key from his pocket.

***

"I want him hanged this very moment," Captain Hillington shouted at his men.

Charles glared up at them through the bars. Couldn't they give Mr. Burr a moment to mourn his dead daughter in peace?

But instead, two of the soldiers helped the elderly man to his feet and escorted him away.

"I shall not forget your kindness," Mr. Burr shouted over his shoulder.

Charles could only force a wane smile in return. Remembering his kindness wouldn't do him much good in a few minutes.

The door at the top of the prison steps groaned.