Chapter nine

TRIGGER WARNING!! (ABUSE AND ALCOHOLISM)

Hwa-Young kept kicking the door, trying to get it open while the others tried to keep the zombies away. There was commotion behind her but she didn't look back. She was putting her full attention onto trying to open the door. On-Jo joined her in banging on the door. While they were both pushing against the door Hwa-Young heard a beeping beside her "It's open. There must be a fire" she said to On-Jo beside her

"Guys!" On-Jo called out "The doors unlocked!" Hwa-Young pushed the door open and everyone flooded onto the roof. As soon as she stepped outside air pushed her back, quickly she looked up and saw a helicopter "Look!" she yelled, pointing up. Everyone began yelling and running to the helicopter, trying to get its attention. All of them went to the end of the roof, waving their arms in the air. Hwa-Young looked around and grabbed a plank of wood, she threw it into the air, trying to get it to reach the helicopter but of course it didn't "Fuck!" she groaned. Everyone stopped yelling, all of them realizing they weren't coming back for them. Hwa-Young walked to the pile of tables and chairs and started throwing anything she could, sending them crashing to the ground. Everyone flinched as she repeatedly threw things. Some started sobbing while others just looked at the ground, disappointed that their only chance to leave had just left them. Hwa-Young stopped throwing things and fell to her knees. She covered her face with her hands and sobbed, her whole body shaking with each breath. On-Jo came up behind her and hugged her. Hwa-Young melted into On-Jo and let the girl comfort her. Slowly, Hwa-Young calmed down. After a few minutes she stood up and dusted her skirt off, wiping her eyes and clearing her throat. 

Hwa-Young went over to where the rest where standing. They were starting to make a 'sos' sign with the rubbish left on the roof. She joined the group in making the sign. She saw a long plank of wood and walked over to it. She tried picking it up but it was too heavy. She kept trying until suddenly she had done it. She looked and saw Cheong-San holding the other side

"Are you okay?" He asked, looking at the ground "I saw you crying"

"I've been crying a lot recently" she said, trying to lighten to mood "So you're going to have to specify"

He chuckled lightly "I mean just now. You were throwing things and then just started sobbing"

"Yeah, i'm fine" she sighed "It's just we were so close to leaving"

"Yeah" he nodded. After a beat of silence he spoke again "We're going to be okay, you know? we're going to leave"

"I hope you're right" She said, smiling tightly. They got to the middle and she dropped her side of the plank, walking in the other direction to pick something else up. He watched the girl for a few seconds. He really hoped she was okay.

After they had finished the sign, they all gathered around "What does 'SOS' even stand for?" Dae-su asked the group

"It doesn't stand for anything" On-Jo answered from the chair she was sitting on

"I thought it meant 'Save our souls'" Hwa-Young said, looking up at On-Jo from the floor

"Well which one is it?" Dae-Su groaned "Cheong-San?"

"Huh?" The boy turned to look at Dae-su

"Does 'SOS' mean save our souls, or does it not have a meaning?" He asked, looking at the two girls "Hwa-Young said it means Save our souls but O-"

"It means Save our souls" He answered instantly, still looking at Dae-Su "She's right"

"Why did you interrupt me, prick" He sighed, standing up and walking towards Nam-Ra "Prez? what does SOS mean?" the three could hear him say. Hwa-Young looked at Cheong-San and smiled slightly, her returned it before walking away. Little did Hwa-Young know but as soon as he turned his smile widened until it reached his eyes.