9

12x07
Something Against You

Sitting in the ER helping April with a patient, Ophelja looked to see a man dressed in a dressing gown and a very stragne hat.

"Where am I supposed to be now?" He asked, shaking his hands in the air.

"Cross." April said, the intern turning to look at her, "Drunk or deranged. Find out which."

"Sir. Hi." Cross said, walking up to him, "Can I help you?"

"I- I don't know." The man said, "You guys called me."

Cross looked back towards April and Ophelia, the redhead pulling a weird face, and the Latina shrugging her shoulders.

--------

"Simone Jaffee. End-stage renal disease. He's been on dialysis for the last 18 months waiting for a transplant donor." Jo said as her, Meredith and Ophelia walked down the hall, Penny running up to them with her lab coat half-on.

"Why so long?" Penny asked, shrugging on the remainder of her lab coat.

"Antibodies. He needs a six-antigen match-" Meredith said.

"An impossible match until tonight." Jo added in, "We've been looking forever. It's like finding the Holy Grail."

"Jo, finding the Holy Grail would feel a lot different. Probably a lot more god-like." Ophelia told her.

"Blake, when was Mr. Jaffee's last round of dialysis?" Meredith asked.

"Oh, um... looking..." She said, tapo8ng her tablet.

"He was at the dialysis centre two days ago." Jo said, "Electrolytes and renal labs were within expected limits, so..." She turned to Penny, "I've been on his case since I was an intern." She explained.

"I am so sorry Dr. Grey. I will catch up." Penny apologised.

"Don't apologise, Penny, you're trying. You didn't even know this man unutl two hours ago." Ophelia reassured her.

"It's OK, Blake. Do the best you can, and ask Wilson if you have any questions." Meredith said, leding the trio up to Mr. Jaffee.

"Oh, there are my girls!" He said, smiling as they walked up to him.

"Mr. Jaffee, it's so good to see you." Meredith said, patting his arm, "Where are the grandkids?"

"I haven't even called them yet. I wanted to wait until I knew it was a sure thing. So..." He said, "Is it true?"

"It's true. We found you a kidney." Ophelia said, smiling brightly at him.

Mr. Jaffee laughed in disbelief, and brought her and Meredith into hug, Penny and Jo giving each other a look.

--------

"Mr. Jaffee, we have almost got the all-clear." Jo said, walking after Ophelia into his room.

"We just need to take you upstairs for a pre-op chesr x-ray and an EKG, and then we're good to go." Meredith said, walking to the other side of the bed, "So, you're gonna need to lose the hat."

"He won't take it off. I tried." Penny said, stepping forward from behind Meredith.

"Look, my late wife gave me this hat. You know, I caught 22 prize-winning bluegills in it!" He told them, "It goes everywhere I go. It's good luck."