P1

**Author's note**
Thank you for dropping by, I hope you stay a little longer. Here's a cup of coffee ☕ for you to enjoy as you take in every word of the coming love tale. Yours loving, Daya...the buyer of the untamed demon**

Finally, I turned seventeen three weeks ago. I had waited for this milestone for the longest time. It meant two things, I can now roam the city without father's soldiers accompanying me. Second and most important, I qualify to get a familiar.

It was the first thing I urged father to allow me to go buy as soon as the birthday rites were over.

"You're one stubborn familiar!" I bark at Argon who is on his knees next to my bed. His brown eyes are fixed on me as if daring me to do my worst. "How am I supposed to brag about you at the ball tonight when you can't even fill my wine cup?"

The frustration deepens.

I groan grabbing the guide book father had bought for me. How to train a familiar, it reads. The methods written are so cruel, but right now I'm considering using at least one to teach the demon who's the master.

"Forgive me if I'll be harsh Argon, but remember this is your doing. If you'd be a bit obedient, I wouldn't have to use this book!" I cry showing him the cover.

Something crosses his lips for a flash of a second. It looked like a smirk, but he brushes it away so fast.

My eyes bulge.
The audacity in this familiar is astounding.

I still remember the first time I laid eyes on him, his long white hair was a mess and dirty, just like the rags he was wearing. But even with his shabby appearance, his brown eyes held the darkest and emotionless voids ever.
A part of me was drawn to him, while the other part cared more of the jealousy that those girls at the coming ball would leak when laid their eyes on my familiar.

His physique was approving, lean but quite strong. Of course the seller made him undergo the physical test which included moving heavy stones and running around the arena.

He was fit. And he had no name.

"I'll name you, Argon," I said smiling up at him.
But he showed no approval nor disapproval.

I shot the seller a questioning gaze.

"My Lady, I forgot to um...to inform you that this familiar doesn't speak." Answered the seller, thin sweat covering his forehead from the terror he must have felt.

"Why didn't you tell me before this?" I yelled throwing the half empty cup in my hand at him. The wine spilled all over the old man and his assistant, some also made it on my familiar. "If that's the case, I'm paying only half the amount for him!"

The old man immediately fell on his knees, his face dripping of the red wine. "Spare me My Lady. It slipped my old memory. It's not easy running this shop at this age. My apologies."

I huffed.

"Then perhaps I can ask father to help you close it down, hm?"

He quickly bowed, his head touching the floor. "This is the only livelihood my family has. Please-"

"Get up! You're making me feel like I'm about to kill you." I sighed. "Fine! I'll take him, but if he has any other defects, I'll send him back here."

"Thank you! Oh thank you for your kindness My Lady. Long live the Duke!"

After buying him, we went straight to the sage and he performed the binding ritual. My pain is Argon's, and his pain is...well only his. The pact only favors the master more than the familiar.
*

*

*

"Why the long face?" Asks mother as she brushes my hair.
Our eyes meet on the mirror. "Did your brothers tease you aga-"

"It's Argon. He won't submit to me."
I pout.

Mother laughs gently. "It's your duty to make him submit dear. But it takes time for them to adapt, especially if he is a new familiar... Why didn't you get a female?"

"If I did that, those minxes would keep showing off their strong familiars as always."

"Competitive as usual!" She laughs again. "Since you chose him, all you can do is train him. Sometimes, one doesn't need to be brutal."

I huff tilting my head to the side. "Mother, you should see the way he looks at me sometimes. As if he will one day devour me in my sleep."

The lovely woman intentionally tugs a strand of my black hair. "Ow!"

"He's a familiar, if he harms you, he'll be harming himself."

Yes, the blood pact is powerful. Argon won't kill me. I relax, comforting my anxious self.

*

*

*

Aliya, my twin sister, walks ahead of us with her familiar beside her. She opted to get a female, never really cared about what others had to say. She is the perfect Lady in Lashire, and being the daughter of the Duke, she carries herself with such grace.

Even though twins, we are a fraternal pair, and different personalities.

I am wild, untamed and have the temper of a fire ant.

Aliya and I have three older brothers, but from a different mother. The first wife of Duke of Lashire died twenty three years ago after giving birth to Aiden. He couldn't raise three boys by himself, and so he married for the second time.

"Keep up!" I breathe fiercely yet maintaining a fake smile for the other attendees.

Argon lags behind again, angering me ever further. He is thinning my patience or pushing me to make a mistake so I'll be the topic of gossip after tonight.

You won't succeed! I assure with my gaze.

The sun is already gone, leaving traces of its glory on the clouds and tree tops. Setting them ablaze to the orange spread all over. Even though it is not dark, the Gareta manor has lit its oil lamps that lead up to the house. I can see them from the porch, like fireflies they line up, directing the incoming guests where to go. It's beautiful, especially the sky.

The manor is located on a hill, giving me a splendid view of the countryside and Lashire city from here. But mostly, the horizon. It looks like an endless thin lake, radiating promises of immortality if you can jump in it.

A tear rolls down my cheek to the fulfilment from the now faded sun.

"Daya?" Aliya's voice calls.

I turn around, noting how most people have now occupied the floor inside.

Aliya's eyes fall on Argon who is standing at the furthest end of the huge balcony. He is busy gazing at the lands a distance away, though I'm sure he can no longer see a thing from the thickening darkness.

"Mother is looking for you."

I take a sharp inhale to prepare myself on the tiresome night ahead of dealing with gossipers, proud nobles and the likes.
But I attended anyway, one, to show off Argon. And second, to get a glimpse of Prince Abigor. Lord Gareta had extended his invitation to the palace and they were to send Prince Abigor.

"Argon?" I call in a harsh whisper.
No response.
"Argon?" I call again, trying to maintain 'my manners'. As if I have any.

He ignores me the second time, pressing me to stride over there in a fit of rage.
I grab his arm and tug, hoping to spin him around. But I hardly move him. What an embarrassment.

Breathing fire like a dragon, I squeeze myself between his body and the railing so he can no longer ignore me.

"I swear if you don't behave tonight I'll... I'll..." What will I do? Right, the guidelines. "I'll make you sleep on the floor!"

His head tilts and I can feel his eyes boring holes through me. Too bad the only source of light is behind him.

My throat runs dry for a second as a cold chill from nowhere eats its way in me. Goosebumps begim to form. Why am I afraid all of a sudden?