A-Yuan

It's going to be another long night. The child had another nightmare and is inconsolable. He repeatedly asked for his family and Wei Ying, sometimes saying baba Wei Ying. On top of that, he is burning up with a fever and is very restless in bed. He hasn't eaten or drank anything for several days. Lan Xichen is very worried and is at a loss for what to do. He is out of his element here. A kindly Lan healer is at the child's side trying to help. He shakes his head and says, "Lan Xichen, I'm afraid unless something happens soon, this child will die. It's not just his illness, and it's also his will to live."

Lan Xichen kneels on the floor and looks to the heavens. "Please help me; Please don't take my brother and this child away; please heal them. I truly believe the child will save my brother, and my brother will save the child."

Hearing this, the healer comes and places a hand on Lan Xichen's shoulder. "Why not take the child to the Cold Pond to be with Lan Zhan?" "The cold will certainly help with the fever, and maybe if they are together, they will find the will to live. "It's worth trying, Lan Xichen."

Lan Xichen thinks, "Why not?" He has run out of ideas, and his diplomatic skills and quiet understanding of situations have not been of any help to him. He has no experience with children except for when his brother was younger. This might be the last chance to save them, so he prepares the child while the healer packs medications they might need.

Carrying A-Yuan, he remembers how he carried Lan Zhan from their mother's home after falling asleep waiting for her to come out. His tears fall unnoticed on the child as he is now unconscious from the fever. Lan Xichen walks hurriedly but carefully so as not to jostle the child.

"Please, Wangji, if you won't wake up for me, wake up for this little one. The child you brought back from the Burial Mounds, the child you fought uncle to keep here. The child that Wei Wuxian loved. Please, Wanji, fight for your life and his.